Chapter One

Clyde Donovan stared into the mirror with a dispirited expression plastered across his weary face, grief-stricken by his reflection. He had weighed himself earlier that morning, the number on the scale rolled in as his highest weight yet. "I'll fix this," He whispered in the otherwise silent bathroom of South Park High. He rested his forehead against the mirror, "It won't be hard. Just some healthy exercise and dieting should do the trick." But his mind's interpretation of healthy was far from correct. "Just eat as little as you can and you should drop the weight just like that." He snapped for emphasis on the last word and lifted his head from the mirror. He met the gaze of his own light brown eyes in the mirror. "I can do this."

Running a hand through his tousled brown hair, he let out a deep, melancholic sigh. He turned the sink's faucet on and allowed the cold water to run through his fingers. He splashed some of the water onto his tear-stained cheeks and rinsed away all the evidence of his previous breakdown, other than his tinted red eyes, which he couldn't do much about.

 He switched the faucet off and began drying his hands and face with the cheap paper towels the high school's bathroom had to offer, quickly realizing that he was better off just using the sleeves of his red and off-white varsity jacket.

He swung the bathroom door open at the sound of the bell. The shrill ringing signaled lunchtime, his former favorite part of the day. But now all it was to him was a time to feel guilty about pleasing his already overweight body with even more calories. All his confidence from elementary school was gone by seventh grade, he was now in ninth and things had just deteriorated from there. And the knowledge that his crush, a generous gentleman called Token Black, was seemingly drawn to muscular bodies and slim figures didn't help his case.

Strolling through the crowded hallway, he scanned his surroundings for a certain trio of eleventh graders, known around the school for being self-centered sons of bitches who enjoy tormenting the members of the grades below their own, such as the freshman and sophomores.

Clyde pushed through the mess of people and into the cafeteria. He made his way through the bystanders having aimless conversations and walked up to his usual lunch table, where his friend group was already seated. 

Token smiled and scooted to the left, making room for the plump brunet to have a seat. Clyde pulled his shamrock-coloured lunchbox from his unzipped backpack and placed it down on the tabletop. The dark-skinned teen noticed Clyde's unusual hesitance to open the tin box and frowned. "Are you feeling okay?" He asked Clyde, attempting eye contact.

Clyde snapped his light brown eyes up to meet Token's dark brown ones and let out a quiet, humorless laugh. "Yeah, I'm doing fine. Why?" Token looked unconvinced.

"Well, it's unlike you to be late for lunchtime, and normally you would've wolfed down every last thing in your lunch box by now," Token responded and winced when he saw the hurt look in Clyde's eyes, realizing how rude that had sounded. "I'm sorry, that was mean." He apologized sympathetically and looked away.

I get it, I'm a pig. But did you really have to point it out so boldly? Clyde thought to himself. "Nah, it was nothing." He brushed it off, attempting to hide his hurt feelings as best he could. He flipped open the lid to his lunch box, met with nothing but air and a few stray crumbs. "Shit," He cursed under his breath as he checked his empty pockets for loose change. No, no. You're not disappointed. No lunch is a good thing.

Craig Tucker, who was sitting diagonally to the left in front of Clyde, let out a small chuckle. "You seriously forgot your lunch?" He grinned, earning an elbow to the side from Tweek Tweak, who was seated directly in front of Clyde, on Craig's left.

Clyde blushed and closed his lunch box, then proceeded to pack it back into his bag. "Yeah," He muttered, but was most definitely not as disappointed as he sounded. I can't make mistakes if there isn't the temptation, He thought and smiled to himself. He was trying to hide his joy from the rest of the table, knowing they'd be concerned to see him so happy about not having to eat. But Clyde's little wave of happiness ended when Token piped up.