obsession //4-6-20//

the smell of blueberries and batter filled the air as a pattering of bare feet faded away in my mind, echoing giggles and delighted shrieks bouncing off my hardwood floors. a distinct dream, a memory of sorts - a nightmare at that.

her cardamom touch ached like the whispers of ghost's fingertips mixed with the haunting melody of children laughing, a record on constant repeat - skipping every third verse for a sadder chorus.

my mind was obsessed with torturing me - showing me images of what i lost everytime my eyes closed for a moment's rest:

one am was flashes of your burning smile, the one you used to give me when i brought you blueberry pancakes in bed [with your favorite cardamom syrup on top].

three am was their playing shrieks, the ones of racing down the halls to see if we were awake [and if we weren't, giggles from jumping on the bed - groans of playful protest to follow].

five am was more of the same until seven struck and i was gasping awake [it was the day you took them away from me, the day you left because i was no good at living anymore].

each of these dream led into the same neverending nightmare, the one where you left me and took my three beacons of happiness away [and yes that included you, even if you didn't want it to].