Chapter 2: Dominatrix

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Despite the reputation Briarcliff held among the public, Lana wanted nothing more than an excuse to get in and see for herself what it was 'really' like. She used the bakery as an excuse to get in, for exposing Briarcliff from the inside out would make one hell of a story, and definitely kick start her career. Her job working for the newspaper paid the bills but it wasn't fulfilling, she craved something groundbreaking and exciting; and this could be it. The woman with whom she spoke with on the phone seemed nice enough, surely it wasn't as bad as people thought.

She woke up early Thursday morning to ensure she was prepared for the day ahead; she hated to admit it but she was a little terrified. This expedition was totally out of her comfort zone, far from last minute casserole dishes and biscuit recipes that was damn sure. The day seemed to drag on slowly, 4:30 couldn't have come sooner. "Wendy, I'm leaving!" Lana called up the stairs to her girlfriend.

A smiling brunette quickly appeared at the top of the steps hastily making her way down towards Lana. She wrapped her arms around Lana's neck and placed a sweet kiss on her lips; Lana and Wendy had been together for a couple of months and couldn't be happier. Of course they lived everyday concealing their feelings for one another, and pretending their relationship didn't exist. In 1964 society just wouldn't except them as a couple, despite this they remained very happy with one another. "You've got this babe, I have total faith in you!" Wendy praised optimistically. Lana smiled widely and wrapped her arms around Wendy's torso pulling her in for another kiss "I'm going to write one hell of a story."
As the taxi rolled around the circular drive around, Lana couldn't help but gaze up at the enormous structure with her mouth agape; its notoriety was frightening sure, but the building itself was, in a strange sort of way, beautiful; it was rustic but not rough looking by any means, its red bricks, large windows, and rolling grasslands surrounding the building made it appear-tranquil. Snapping out of her trance like state she reached for her pocket book and pulled out a $5 bill for the taxi driver. With a quick thank you she got out and slung her purse over her shoulder headed up towards the main entrance to the building.

Almost as if pressed for time, a young nun flew open the main door and rushed out to meet Lana on the veranda of the building. She was out of breath and panting. "Miss. Winters, i'm sister Mary Eunice-We spoke on the phone!" she said with a smile, holding out her hand for Lana to shake.

"Yes, yes! we did, its nice to meet you sister." Lana replied smiling as they shook hands. Sister Mary nodded her head and motioned towards the door, inviting Lana inside. She thought the outside of the building was beautiful, but as she stepped into the main corridor her mouth dropped open with amazement; the marble floors sparkled where the sun shone down on it, and as she gazed around her eyes followed a large winding stair case all the way up to an elegant skylight on the roof. She was in awe for architecturally, Briarcliff Manor was astonishing, but she had a feeling that its structural beauty was only a mask hiding its true identity.

"Please wait here. Sister Jude will be down shortly." Sister Mary Eunice chirped cheerfully before rushing off elsewhere.

Sister Jude huh, surely the head honcho. What a fright she must be. Lana thought to herself, taking a seat on an antique chaise lounge that had been placed in the corridor. Her stomach was fluttering with butterflies, a mix of nerves and excitement for what was to come. How was she going to get enough evidence and info about the place if she is only able to see the bakery. Maybe her plan wasn't thought through thoroughly enough. Its to late for second guessing now Lana.
The brunette was pulled from her thoughts as the sound of clicking heels grew nearer and the loud creak of a door echoed down the stairs and throughout the lobby. As she looked up to the top of the stairs she saw a woman ascending down towards her; she was tall and slim, the way she held herself with her chin up and shoulders back, supported the poise to that of someone in charge. "Welcome to Briarcliff Mannar." she boomed, her voice was rich like velvet interlaced with a thick Boston slur.