Chapter 16: Defuzed

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

The drive back from the mother house flew by, for Jude's mind was occupied mainly with thoughts of Lana.  The nun decided she wasn't going to let herself worry about how Lana would get out of the building, because she knew Mother Claudia would ensure nothing but the young brunette's safety. 

As Jude arrived at Briarcliff she practically sprinted up to her office.  She needed to pack her bag, and gather some supplies for the cottage; she'd be able to go food shopping, clothing shopping, buy prescriptions, and medical supplies, when she got to the cottage.  However, the pair of them needed to be ready for the voyage there.  It was about a 4 hour drive one way, and Jude wanted to be prepared for any and everything. In a small case she packed gauze, suturing set, a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, and bandages.  She then rifled through her dresser in search of some normal clothes for the both of them to change into and pyjamas. 

Jude packed the clothes, toiletries, an extra blanket, and a small pillow into a large case.  She decided it would be best for Lana to lay on the back seat, keeping her wound flat.  Once she was sure she had everything she tucked the two cases underneath her bed, hiding them from any prying eyes.  Although Briarcliff and habit had saved her, she was prepared to give them both up. Jude had a new purpose, and that was nursing the love of her life back to full health.

Jude looked down at the watch face of her wrist, and it read nearly 9pm.  Jude was exhausted from her round trip, but she wanted badly to see Lana.
It was too early to slip in and slip out unseen, so Jude decided to head down to the kitchen in search of something to nibble on.  All the patients were in bed locked in their cells, which meant she didn't have to worry about running into anyone-aside from the night guards, with whom she was friendly with anyway. 

As just made it too the kitchen she went straight for the fridge.  There were some thick slices of tomato left, and cheese, which she thought would make a fine sandwich.  The blonde got busy slicing her bread and cheese, then buttered both pieces of the bread.  As she sat down to enjoy what she had just made, a small voice called out her name from the darkness of the hallway.

"Who's there?" She asked, quickly standing to her feet.

"Sista-please be calm, I'm not going to hurt ya!" a familiar voice spoke softly. 

"Kit Walka?" Jude whispered fearfully, "how did ya get outta yar cell!" Jude's voice raised. 

The man took a step into the kitchen, his facial features becoming illuminated by the soft light.  He raised his hands too show he was unarmed and meant no harm. 

"Sista please.  I'm innocent-I was investigatin who is actually doin the killin's-they caught me on the wrong night, and nobody will listen to me...help me" He pleaded. 

For some reason Jude's fear left her body, luckily she was born with a natural radar for sincerity, and she could tell Kit was telling the truth.  The nun looked at the dirty battered man before her, and felt nothing but pity for what she had  put him through.

"Are ya hungry Mr. Walka?" Jude asked softly, pushing her sandwich down the counter toward him. 

He nodded and hesitated before taking a step closer too Jude, "its okay, come sit" Jude said, patting the chair across from her.  Kit shuffled quickly over to Jude and snatched up the sandwich, practically inhaling it. 

"would you like another?" Jude asked, slightly chuckling.  Kit wiped his lip and nodded his head, finishing the last of the sandwich. Jude smiled and walked back too the fridge pulling out the rest of the tomato, a block of cheese, and butter.  She sliced 4 slices of bread and made Kit two more sandwiches, for she realized he probably hadn't had a decent bite to eat in weeks.

"I'm starvin" he said with a mouth full, spitting out crumbs.

"Didn't yar motha teach ya not ta talk with yar mouth full!" Jude exclaimed, making Kit smile coyly. 

"sarry sista" he said lowering his head.

Jude smiled and sat down beside Kit, waiting for him to finish his food before beginning her questioning.  She really hadn't the time too truly help him, but she would be able to write up some papers for his release and give him a portion of the money Mother Claudia had given her, just to keep him on his feet.   Was that good enough for all she had done? Suddenly and idea came too her, but she needed to speak with Lana first. 

"Mr. Walka, I want ta help ya, and I don't want to know how ya escaped from solitary-but if someone see's ya all hell will break loose," Jude started.

"Ya and I are going ta take the back staircase ta my office, where you will wait until I have signed your release papers.  I will also write up a story ta send into the local newspaper, confessing yar innocence.  Once all this is done, I will hand ya $500 dollars ta keep ya a float until ya can build a life far yarself"

Kit stared at Jude in disbelief, he was so thrilled he could almost throw his arms around the timid nun, embracing her in a hug-but refrained.

"Thank ya sista" he whispered, tears very nearly brimming his eyes.  Jude nodded her head and stood from her chair

"Come with me.  We don't want ya being seen now!" Jude said hurriedly. Kit stood from his chair and followed at Jude's heels like a little puppy, as she lead them through the back tunnels of the building. When they safely arrived at Jude's office without interception, Kit let out a sigh of relief.  He had been creeping around in the dark for nearly an hour, scared of being found. 

"My room is just through that door there, ya can have a propa lay down if ya'd like.  I have a few thing ta take care of.  No one should come around, you'll be safe here!" Jude whispered, before shutting the office door behind her.  Kit did as he was told, not wanting to fudge up his only way out of the hell.