Chapter 15: Disposition

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

  After nearly a week and a half of Lana's unchanging health, Jude resorted to consulting Dr. Arden about the infection and had even called in a specialist from the town's clinic, but received nothing but negative results from the pair of them.  Despite Jude's best efforts, Lana's infection had turned into sepsis and her internal organs were starting to shut down.

Jude had cried herself to sleep that night. She had finally found somebody she loved and got nothing but love and admiration as strong back, now she was going to lose it. Jude had to accept the fact that Lana wasn't going to get better, but she didn't want too.  She still had hopes of them retiring to her cottage up in the north, sitting on the porch swing watching the sunset wrapped up in each others arms with not a single worry in the world.

She needed to get Lana out of Briarcliff and soon. The last thing Jude wanted was for Lana to pass over in a place so nefarious. Managing to get her out would be difficult, for Lana was very weak and in enormous amounts of pain off and on. Jude was going to arrange everything, she'd manage it one way or another. She had too.

---//---

"We're going to get out of here." Jude whispered as she sat down beside Lana, on the edge of her bed.  Lana furrowed her brow and looked at Jude skeptically.

"What do you mean?" She asked, as Jude pulled the thick duvet up over Lana's shivering body.

"I bought a cottage up north about 10 years ago. I want to take you there...leave this place." Jude said lowly as her eyes scanned around the small cell.

She was a bit remorseful about the thought of just up and leaving everything she had built up at Briarcliff, but she was nearly 50. Her prime had certainly passed, and her relationship with Timothy was nothing but false hopes and never to come true fantasies, which she realized now. Lana meant so much more to her than anything else in her life and she wanted them to be together in peace, without the fear of being caught by the prying eyes of other patients or guards.

Jude could write off Briarcliff to her most beloved pupil, Mary Eunice. She was the only aspect that tugged at Jude's heart strings.  Surely Mary would take up her position as Head Mistress, she knew the ropes and often substituted for Jude when she was busy. Briarcliff would be in good hands. Jude would miss her little cherubic face and good nature, she was somewhat of a daughter to Jude.

"I don't know if I'll make it" Lana said as she gripped onto Jude's hand lovingly. Jude sighed and caressed the back of Lana's hand with her thumb. 

Lana wanted desperately to leave Briarcliff with Jude, but she was so weak and wasn't sure if she'd make the trip.  She knew Jude probably had everything planned out perfectly, but Lana was scared-she was very scared. She loves Jude with her whole being, but if they were to get caught because of herself they'd both be in danger.

"I know you're scared, but we'll be fine" Jude spoke faintly, as she raised Lana's hand to her lips, pressing a soft kiss to the back of it.  "I won't let anything happen to you. I promise." 

--///--

It felt like years since Jude had last been outside of Briarcliff, but she decided on taking a trip to the mother house to visit her mentor and oldest acquaintance Mother Claudia. If anyone could help, it would be her, and without questioning Jude in her ways. She was going to make everything right. The building had kept a company car in the parking lot which Jude had asked Frank to service a few days before she planned to take it.  It would talk about two hours to drive to the Mother house, so Jude decided to leave early in the morning. 

"Sister Jude!" Mother Claudia beamed from the top of the steps of the mother house.  Jude smiled up at the elderly nun as she ascended the cumbersome stairs.  As she reached the top the pair of old friends embraced in a tight hug. 

"I'm sure you're starving, I have had luncheon ordered in my office!" Mother Claudia said.  

—//—

"So, pre-tell...why have you come?" The elderly woman asked plainly.  Jude swallowed the last of her sandwich and set the fine china plate down on the desk in front of her. 

"I have created a problem far myself muther, one I must set right.  The problem is, I can't pull it off alone," Jude started. 

The elderly nun huffed, for Jude's cryptic answer played on her nerves, "You'll have to disclose every detail sister, if I am to help."

Jude looked down to her fumbling hands, unsure of how to proceed without giving away too much information. 

"I had a woman falsely committed in a fit of rage, and she ended up jumping in front of a knife meant far me-She is terribly sick and I do-" Jude began to choke up, "I don't know if she is going to make it."

Silence fell over the room as both women digested what had just been said.  Jude was oblivious, but Claudia knew exactly what was going on.  The Reverend Mother had known Jude since she was a young girl, and was quite good at reading the blonde nun.

"Have you chosen a pupil to take your place?" Claudia asked. 

Judes head shot up in shock, wondering how her old friend pieced together that she would be leaving with Lana, "h-h-how did ya kn-"

"That is inconclusive to the matter at hand dear. I will help. I will take care of everything, the only aspect you need to worry about is having the car ready and packed" The mother pulled out an envelope from a drawer in her desk, placing it in front of Jude. 

"In two days time I will arrive at Briarcliff with two other nuns, and we will be moving, this patient of yours, to a rest home for her final days-weeks-months-what have you," she paused for a moment, staring intently at Jude.

"In the envelope is $2000 dollars, enough to cover the cost of anything medical involved in caring for this patient."

Jude sat in silence, shocked by the help Claudia was providing despite knowing the reason rooted in Jude's motive.  Jude gripped onto the envelope and pulled it into her lap, then looked up into Mother Claudia's eyes sincerely. 

"Thank you," Jude whispered.  Claudia reached across the desk and gripped Jude's hand within her own, and offered a delicate nod. 

"Everyone deserves happiness dear, even if such happiness is fleeting."