CHAPTER NINE

As soon as I got to the hospital I sprinted to the room my brother had texted me that Theo was in. It was in the children's ward but my dad has decided to pay for a private room according to Owen.

I felt guilty that I was running through the hospital yet I felt more guilty that I hadn't been there at home and wanted to see my baby as quickly as possible. God, how could I let this happen?

On the journey here in the cab I racked through my mind, thinking of what he could have eaten that he hasn't eaten before. But, I gave him bits out of our Thanksgiving dinner and some of his usual baby food so I'm completely bewildered.

As I get out of the elevator to go to a higher floor, I notice that room 103, the room Owen told me about, is straight ahead of me. Before rushing into the room, I check through the blinds in the window to see my baby there laying on a small hospital bed.

I quickly go into the room, heading straight towards the bed as both Dad and Owen notice my presence. I look down at Theo. He looks calm, sleeping gently in the bed. Although I fail to ignore the red, splotchy texture of his skin. I reach my finger down, stroking his swollen face as a tear slides out of my eye.

"I'm so sorry..." I whisper, entwining another finger into his small hand so he holds it.

"It's not your fault, Quinn," Owen says as he stands behind me with his arm around my shoulder.

I glance up at him, giving him a quick thankful smile before turning around completely and hugging him. It doesn't take me long to break down into tears, sobbing into Owen's chest. He rubs his hand up and down my back, an attempt to sooth me although not working.

"Quinn," my dad mutters, grasping my shoulder to gain my attention. I immediately let go of Owen, desperately hugging my father.

Once I settled down, I occupy the chair across from the bed, gazing at Theo sleeping. Dad and Owen filled me in on what the doctor had said. Theo had definitely had an allergic reaction to something, and quite a bad one as it seems as he started swelling badly and had trouble breathing.

"Do we know what it could have been? I mean his lunch included all things he'd eaten before," I say to them, suddenly worried that this may happen again.

Dad's face was blank as he thought about it and Owen's head looked straight down at the floor.

"Owen? What is it?" I ask curiously, sensing Owen knows something that I don't.

"Quinn, I'm so sorry..." he says looking towards me and I notice the glisten of a tear in the corner of his eye. "I think it might have been me."

"What did you give him?" I demand, wincing at the sudden anger and volume in my voice.

"I didn't give him anything!" Owen retorts, standing up, "I ate some peanuts, and I think peanuts are an airborne allergy. I'm so sorry."

I stare at him as I watch as he looks sadly over at Theo and I know that it's not his fault. No one could have known that Theo had an allergy at all, let alone for peanuts as it seems.

I sigh, glancing over at Owen again, "It's fine, Owen, at least we know now and he's okay. He's totally okay right now."

He's totally okay.

***

As the night drew in, the doctor came in to tell us that Theo would be safe to come home as he had mostly recovered from his allergic reaction. The doctor prescribed him with an epipen in case this ever happened again.

However, due to my forecoming paranoia I believe that I will threaten either my dad or brother if they bring peanuts in the house again.

As we were getting ready to go, I desperately needed to go to the toilet (the outcome of a messed up bladder from pregnancy). I excused myself and went down the hall to only find that the hospital toilets on this floor were out of order.