CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Nate's POV

I got a weird message from Owen Watson this morning telling me that I needed to speak to his sister. I kept on reading it over and over again, wondering what's happened. I replied to him asking if she was okay but he didn't respond, leaving me to worry even more.

For ages, I haven't been able to help but feel worried about Quinn. Although I'm dating Vanessa, the care for Quinn I feel is totally different. So different I can't even explain it.

Whenever I see her with Blair and Serena looking out of place and almost... depressed? I can't put my finger on it, I just know she's not acting like the same bubbly girl that we all know. The girl I used to be best friends with.

The number of times I have passed Quinn in the hallways when her mouth is turned into a frown and her eyes are dark and heavy. Walking straight past me, she won't even spare a glance and I can't help but feel hurt painfully every time. She's clearly gotten over what briefly happened between us.

The Quinn I know usually bounces in her step and smiles at anybody she knows in the hallway. The Quinn I know hates messy buns on her and prefers to let her beautiful brunette hair fall over her shoulders.

"Hey," Vanessa greets me as I walk into her diner, pecking me quickly on the lips. She's wiping down a few tables as she talks to me, "If you sit, I'll grab you a coffee and I'll join you for my last break."

"Okay," I smile, watching as she walks over to behind the bar.

I look down at my phone, my fingers were already hovering over Quinn's contact name on my way here as I thought about her. For the longest while I've been meaning to get in touch with her. She truly doesn't look like herself anymore.

I wonder if Serena or Blair have noticed, they're her best friends yet I haven't seen either of them acting any differently around her. Heck, Chuck might even know something about it given his ability to nose on people's personal lives.

The last time I spoke to her properly would have been when we argued and I called her a bully. Not a great moment on my part. I wish I had the chance to apologise to her given the fact I knew nothing about what had occurred with Jenny. I shouted way unreasonably at her. But, what does Jenny know?

"Here you are," Vanessa says, placing a mug down in front of me. She sits down in the seat across from me, watching me sceptically. "What's wrong?"

I stare at her blankly for a moment for shaking my head, "Nothing," I lie. "I'm perfect. This coffee smells amazing."

She grins at me, "Well, it was made by yours truly."

I smile at her again but it falters as I begin to think about Quinn again. I wonder what she's doing right now. Maybe she's out with someone tonight, I know she wouldn't have gone to Jenny Humphrey's party given they're definitely not friends. Maybe she's tipsy, standing with some guy right now as he tells her about how great he is so he can seduce her.

The thought makes irritated and my fist unintentionally curls together. I shake my head at myself and turn my head towards Vanessa, "Sorry, I got lost in a thought for a moment then."

"I could tell," she chuckles nervously. "Anything interesting?"

"No," I say shortly, "So, what are your plans for tonight?"

She grins, "Actually I was going to ask if you wanted to stay here for a little while. I know Dan is coming with Sarah and I really think you should meet her."

"I can't stay for long, I promised mom I'd be back," I answer honestly. "Plus, I need to see someone later on."

I think about Owen's cryptic text message earlier. Maybe I do need to check in on Quinn. If her brother is worried about her then maybe she's rejecting other people like she's rejected me.