In the Begining

A little girl was reading a book on the legend. It was a legend familiar to all who lived in this area, but she and her family just moved here. Her grandma was in a nursing home here in Ebott City. She, her parents, and her grandpa visited her every day. That's were she got this book actually. A legend about monsters living underground, due to a war. It was so interesting to her, her demon tail twitching as her eye lights scanned the pages. Her father, Puppet floated over. "Mari? What are you reading?" Marionette, or Mari for short, looked up. "The legend about monsters."
"Monsters?" Her mother, Casey, asked. "Mhm. Got it from grandma today."
"I see. Well we'll leave you to it then." Dad nodded and the two left me to read.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Mari jolted notes down in her notebook as her professor rattled on about the differences between human souls, monster souls, animatronic souls, and toon souls. Human souls were upside right with a single distinctive trait. Animatronic souls were very similar except their souls were pure red determination. Monster souls were white and upsidedown. Toon souls were upside right with white like that of a monster. My soul.. Was something between it all. White rimmed with patience rimmed with red that was right side up. Not that I told Dr. Alphys. That was my professor's name. She was a yellow lizard monster. It's been 19 years since monsters surfaced. I was 25 years of age and this was my second year in soul science. I'd already taken my 4 years in monster biology. I enjoyed learning about this species that survive hundreds of years underground. Not to mention that the monsters are one of the few remaining monarchies in the world. "Psst." I looked to the side. Frisk, one of my classmates and the monster ambassador, trying to get my attention. "Hm?" I hummed to let her know I was listening while still working. "I don't get it. Help me after class?" I nodded. Why not.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Are we going to the usual spot?" I asked I collected my things. "Mmhm. The flower shop helps me focus. Plus mom was supposed to come over and make pie with Asgore's tea." They shrugged. I followed them out, bidding Alphys farewell as I did. We started our walk to the shop since it was only a few blocks away. "Heya punks!" We waved to officer Undyne as we walked by. "This is nice," Frisk commented, "Humans, monsters, toons, and animatronics all getting along. It's all thanks to your family." I shrugged. "The monsters were your doing. I'm not anything special."
"Don't give yourself so much credit.." They stated sarcastically. "I'm not. That was all mom and.." They frowned. Grandma hadn't been doing to well lately. "Yeah. I get it.." They saved me from having to say it. A voice stopped things from getting darker, yet darker. "FRISK! ARE YOU STILL COMING OVER TONIGHT?" Ah. Officer Papyrus. One of Frisk's closest friends. They chuckled and the mood immediately lightened. Thank you Papyrus. "Oh course! I was going to do some homework with my friend first."
"NYEH?" He looked to me. "YOU CAN COME TO IF YOU WISH. ALL FRIENDS OF FRISK ARE WELCOME!" I smiled at him. "I'll think about it. I have things to do before I visit." I was definitely visiting grandma. I also never really.. Do hang out stuff. Frisk was my only friend. "OH OK." He sounded a little disappointed. "See you later Papyrus!"
"Bye."
"GOOD BYE FRISK AND FRISK'S FRIEND!"
"You should go. Sans is hilarious and Papyrus is a great cook. Undyne, Alphys, Mettaton, and Grillby will be there too."
"The bartender?"
"He and Sans are.. Close." They wiggled their eyebrows suggestively. I rolled my eyelights.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Here my children. Have some pie." Toriel passed us plates while I explained the work to Frisk. "More tea?" Asgore offered. I shook my head no. Frisk wanted more though. Asgore poured her another cup. "No, no. That's a animatronic soul. Human souls are a little smaller."
"How are you so good at this?"
"I'm part animatronic.. I would know."
"What all are you, my child?" Toriel asked. "..."
"Do you really wanna know?" Frisk asked. "Is it that complicated? There are many hybrids out there." Toriel responded. I sighed. "Listen and pay attention." Toriel and Asgore both gave me their full attention. Frisk listened too. "My mom's a human. My dad's a animatronic. My grandma is human. My grandpa is a toon. I'm 1/4 toon, 1/4 animatronic, and 1/2 human. Though I look more animatronic."
"Oh my. You are a special one, are you not?" Asgore asked. "No. Not really." I checked the time. "I have to go." I started putting my books away. "Already?" Frisk whined. I nodded. "Visiting is over in an hour. I gotta go." They sighed. "You'll think about coming over, right?" They asked. I nodded again and left.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I knocked on my grandma's door. Grandpa answered. "Ah! Mari! Just in time." Mom and dad was with her as well, though it looked like they were about to leave. "Love you mom, see you tomorrow." Mom kissed grandmas head. I smiled. It was so sweet. "Mari. Are you spending the night in the library again?" Dad noticed me come in. "Maybe.. I might be at a friend's house.." They all looked startled. "Alright.. Well.. Have fun. Love you."
"Love you too, mom. Bye." My parents left and I sat with my grandma. "Tell me about this friend."
"They go to college with me. They are the monster ambassador named Frisk."
"I see. You should go, Little Marionette."
"Ok, ok." I chuckled.
"I'm glad you're finally making friends."
"Thanks grandma." Then she grabbed my arms in a surprising strong grub for an old lady. "G-grandma?" Grandpa stood up, feeling uneasy about this sudden seriousness. "Harper?"
"What's the matter?" I asked. Something was wrong. Very wrong. "Beware the Man who speaks in hands."