Who Are You

I yawned tiredly. I hadn't slept since the fight. I wanted to figure out if I could get some sleep or not though. I've only gotten worse off, fighting that thing. I groaned. "Mari. You're falling asleep again." Frisk prodded me and I jumped to attention. We were in class after much of Alphys' protesting that I should get sleep. "Im up, I'm up." I turned back to my notes. It cycle repeated all day. I would almost doze, Frisk would wake me, and I'd go back to my notes until I dozed again. My other teachers were less than impressed. I made it to the end of the day though.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"God, Marionette! You look like you haven't slept in weeks?" Mom looked very worried and cupped my face. Dad was at my side. "I'm not sure I like this. If school is keeping you up, you should drop out." I shook my head. "I'm not dropping out. I'm fine." I assured. "You should get some sleep though.. You can see grandma tomorrow." Mom frowned. "Yeah.. No. If things are getting as bad as I've been hearing than I'm spending as much time with her as possible. I can sleep afterwards." With that I waved and walked out the door, not taking no for an answer.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Mari? You look horrible!"
"Thanks for pointing that out, grandpa."
"How long have you gone without sleep?" He crossed his arms. I shrugged. "I'm fine. How's grandma?" He tensed a little, his tail stilled. "Not good. They give her a month at least.." He lowered his head. "A month..? I'm so sorry, grandpa." I hugged him. He pet my hair. "It'll be weird without her.."
"I know.."
"Go on then. Get your time with her. Then get dome sleep!" I held my hands up and walked to grandma's bed. "Little Marionette.. You look so tired.." I chuckled and grabbed her hand. "Maybe a little. I'm fine."
"Come and lay down. Let me sing you a lullaby." I sighed. "I'm not a child anymore.." I still laid next to her though, only cause she asked. "I'm the dancing demon watch me twirl and hop and spin, I'm quick to give a smile but I won't forget your sin..."
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Grey.. This was new. "Just a grey box now..? A downgrade.."
"I prefer it to the void. Thank you, by the way." I turned to the source of the voice. A skeleton with cracks in his skull. He wore a white turtleneck with a black coat and pants. He adorned black dress shoes. There were holes in his hands. I recognized him. "You.. Who are you..?" He smiled and for once it wasn't creepy. "I am Dr. W.D. Gaster. The Royal scientist before Alphys." My eyes lit up. "Really? I have questions!"
"And I have answers, but first, thank you for reforming my soul and restoring my true form."
"You're welcome.. I guess.."
"Now.. You should seriously get some rest. Over a month without sleep is no good for your health."
"How long has it been since you slept?"
"A millennia maybe, but that's besides the point. I don't exist. You do." A bed formed out of nowhere. "Sleep."
"Why are you not trying to kill me anymore?"
"Sleep." Two hands pushed me into the bed. "Goodnight Marionette." 'How does he know my name..?' You started falling asleep, despite have questions and no answers.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To my disappointment, I woke up in the real world instead of that.. Grey room. I'd been moved from grandma's bed in the nursing home to my bed. It was probably grandpa's ink portal. Damn. At least I was feeling much more refreshed than before, which led me to believe that the void and the grey room were semi real places. I say semi real because only my soul seems to go there with a.. Shall I say magical projection of my body. Which carried on the wounds I received while I was there. At least, that was my running theory. Toons, or my grandpa at least, did have a little bit of magic, which is why we can do soul control and create ink portals. But said species had no where near as much magic as monsters. Animatronics really don't have magic, save for GF and my dad. They could teleport. That's about it though. I went through the day as normal, visited grandma, and returned home ready to face Dr. Gaster. I was going to get answers today and I wasn't going to get distracted.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Good evening, Dr. Gaster." I decided to start out polite. "Good evening." Said skeleton replied. "I do believe you had questions. Where would you like to start?"
"Straight to the point, I like it. Why were you trying to kill me before?"
"As a mere piece of soul and made mostly of the void, I was acting on my most basic instincts." That made sense in a way. "Alright well how did you know my name?"
"In the void I am everywhere and nowhere. I know many things, very possibly even everything."
"Lucky."
"I.. Do not think so.. I miss when life was a big puzzle for me to solve. Now I'm here. The price to be paid, I suppose."
"What even happened to you, doctor?"
"As I've said before, I was the Royal scientist before Alphys. I created many things in my time, the Core, the DT Extraction machine, clones, a stable food supply, currency, etc. But in the end curiosity kills and I fell into my machine while trying to fix it."
"Which erased you from time and space."
"Correct. You are very intelligent Ms. Stein."
"Thank you, but call me Mari."
"Very well, Mari, you can call me Gaster."
"Alright.. Gaster?"
"Hm?"
"I'm breaking you out. I'm going to bring you back." He blinked, startled. "Why?"
"No one deserves to be alone. You should be out there. With friends, with family."
"..."
"Gaster?"
"I think.. That with help.. You can do it."
"Help? Who? Sans understands more than he lets on. Take him to his house in Snowdin. There's a basement in back. He'll understand."