I.playing the invisible game

Elated yet anxious, Mari gulped down, absentmindedly stroking her non-existent long golden curled strand. Biting her inner cheek, her soil-colored carpet bag on her frail little hand, her emerald orbs roaming around the battered manor as she makes her way upstairs, the wooden floor causing a sound.

Mari was a bit confused about the lack of household staff in the Humblecreek Manor, the Kanes residence and why her employer mentioned nothing concerning it though Mari sees no issues with it.

Given her lack of experience with how the society works, she figured it would be best to work alone, than be lectured by the household regarding how to act or not. Even if she is a mere companion.

But, alas, either this or rot in hell. Swamped in a cluttered train on her way here, the memory of her relatives betraying her kept replying over her mind. The next thing she knows, she had been sobbing nonstop the journey, causing her to earn a few strange and worried looks from the passengers.

Shaking her head, Mari buried that memory. Promising herself not to shed a single tear anymore, nor think about them.

What's important is what lies ahead before her. The very man on the other side of this door. The man who now holds her present and future.

Mari couldn't afford to fail, for that means living in the gutter. Not only does she not have anyone, she also does not have anything. She is completely impoverished, to say the least.

Letting out a soft nervous sigh, pursing her lips unto a smile, Mari lifted her hand, knocking on the wooden door before her, her heartbeat quickening.

There was no answer. Again, she knocked. Yet, no answer came once more. Perhaps he is asleep. Or maybe, something bad had happened to him.

Panic rising in her stomach, Mari has left no choice but to twitch the doorknob and pray Jude Kane is fine.

The moment the door went ajar, the first thing Mari noticed was the state of the room. Her jaw dropping, her eyes roamed around it for it resembled a battlefield.

Cobwebs everywhere you look, bed unmade, sheets were thrown here and there, books disarranged around the dusty wooden floor, the silver candelabras tossed on the same ground, the white curtain which now looks in the shade of gray is closed, casting no light within the room.

By the window stiffly sat a man in his thirties as her employer informed her. Mari found herself gulping down in terror as she made her way towards the man wearing a wrinkled and unmatched shirt and trouser sans the cravat, her legs turning jelly.

For a second, Mari initially feared the man was dead, for he was merely sitting there, completely emotionless. Yet at the sight of him blinking and furrowing his brow, Mari internally let out a relieved sigh.

Mari could feel the sweats building around her temples just by thinking of arriving in Humblecreek Manor, only to discover Jude Kane is found dead at his chaotic chamber.

Despite not knowing Jude's story, barely even knowing anything for his younger brother dared not supply much information, Mari couldn't help but pity the man before her.

Never mind that, for Mari is determined to change that just like how this man's younger brother changed her life, saved her life from utter catastrophe.

"Good afternoon, Master Kane. I am Mari Milch, your brother hired me to see to your needs," she exclaimed with a cheery voice, but not too loud for she fears he might find her voice annoying.

Despite the man not seeing her, her cheekbones were flown upwards, teeth flashing, eager to appear presentable and amiable.

Still, Jude Kane dared not respond, did not even bother lifting his head to her direction despite how close she was to him, only a foot away.