VII.pretend everything's okay

The next morning, Mari pretended as if nothing disappointing arose yesterday thus again starting the day with her usual merriness that appeared to deteriorate Jude's guilt even more.

Mari embarked on the sunrise by fetching water for Jude, and warming it first for him to make his washing comfortable. As she waits for the water to reach a certain level of temperature, she prepares his day clothes. A non-wrinkled white shirt and brown checkered trousers.

A moment later, after breakfast, with Jude all freshen up, now sitting in his usual spot, his eyes still boring towards the wall before him, Mari entered the scene once more, carrying a tray.

As Mari pour down tea for Jude, she filled the silence by uttering, "The tea's a specialty back in Eyam, Master,"

Jude mentally cursed himself for he seems to be glued in his spot, unresponsive.

Smoothening her skirt, she added, "if the tea's not your cup of tea, I'm willing to make the usual, Master," grinning at herself for her subtle play of words.

Nonetheless, Jude comes off unmoved by it. With that, Mari bit her inner cheek to halt herself from beaming like a fool, as she eyed Jude, with his still-damp hair and beard, gazes lingering on his long scar.

Frantic not to stir anymore awkwardness, Mari busied herself in other stuff, started with fluffing the pillows, still facing Jude who still sat there motionlessly.

Mari almost passed out in surprise and bliss when right before her green eyes, there she saw Jude gingerly pick the teacup, sipping.

Massive smile now plastered in her face, halting her deed, before she knew it, she's beside Jude, standing, clenching her frock in excitement.

Jude, meanwhile, placed down the teacup, cautious not to break it as he often did, conscious of Mari gazes directed towards him.

"You like the tea, Master?" asked Mari, tugging her hair, grinning.

Her eyes broadened, her cheekbones flying when Jude simply nodded at her as a reply for never had he bothered uttering such words nor any reactions towards her.

Before she knew it, she was blabbering about the tea, on how she knew it from this gentle old woman back in Eyam and how she fell in love with its sweet taste though her late father loathes it.

All throughout, Jude was just nodding, arching his brow, pressing his lips every now and then to suppress laughter and take note, actually had his head in her direction as she spoke, causing Mari to be more elated.

After Mari's not-so-brief tale about the tea which leads to the story of the woman who gave it to her, about her pet dog named 'Kitten', Mari decided to conclude the tale.

Mari almost tripped while she rushed off to wash the tea set downstairs, grinning as she swiftly went back upstairs, fetched the book from her nightstand, and back to Jude's bedchamber to start their afternoon routine.

This time, Jude looked in her direction when Mari was at the doorway for despite how soft her football is, he could feel her. And smell her.

Pressing her lips together in excitement, the Love Manor tucked in her arm, Mari bends as she fetched the footstool under the bed.

Sitting beside Jude, a book in her hand, looking up, grinning, she exclaimed, "We're at chapter 7 in Love Manor, Mister,"

"Pray do continue, my darling, I've been anticipating the wrath of Mrs Betsy," he spoke, with his deep and steady voice, smirking at the end.

For some reason, Mari's heart quickened, her cheeks turning crimson. It's the first time she ever heard his voice, of course, aside from yesterday when he angrily hollered at her.