XVII.make love, not war

Mrs Elmstone, the Kane brothers' aunt, barged into the manor without any invitation nor any warning.

However, of course, as a pleasant host, Charles was forced to accommodate their crude relative, reluctantly ordering the maids to prepare a room for the intruder, all while Charles and her sat in the sitting room, conversing about everything under the sun that suits the woman's tastes.

Mrs Elmstone, a tall, blonde-haired woman in her late sixties, the corner of her eyes and her mouth filled with wrinkles. Her sharp blue eyes were enough to frighten anyone, of course, except the Kane brothers. Her pastel yellow gown was impeccable, the matching parasol sitting on her feet.

"I've heard about this girl your brother brought from whatever countryside he found her," uttered Mrs Elmstone, her voice judgmental despite how her face looks as if she is trying to look uninterested.

"Ms Milch? She's Jude's attendant, a fine young woman, if you ask me, Aunt," commented Charles, forcing himself not to sneer for till now, he hasn't forgotten how this aunt of his sabotaged sent such a ridiculously daring gown to Mari.

"And so everyone says, they're quite charmed by the girl, so I've noticed ever since I stepped foot in London," replied Mrs Elmstone, her arms crossed.

"I assure you, Aunt. I know you, Ms Milch has been nothing but kind to my brother considering how Jude's demeanor is," Charles awaited his aunt's reply. He doesn't even know why he seeks her approval, it's not as if they desire a place in her will. They don't need any more pounds, they've got far more than enough of that when their father passed away a couple of years back.

Mrs Elmstone, their maternal aunt, so Charles heard back then, used to have romantic feelings towards their father but as it turns out, their father fell head over heels over her sister. When their mother died, she told her boys to not forget her half-sister and so, they reluctantly did.

"Oh, my sweet dear boy. Where did you get that notion? I desire nothing but the best for the Kane brothers. It's just that, I know a gold digger when I see one," her tone was smooth and lullaby-like as if she sees Charles as a stupid boy.

And before Charles could reply, a housemaid entered the room, carrying a tray of tea, laggardly, she poured one for Mrs Elmstone, almost spilling it, causing the old woman to holler, to sneer, "Stupid!"

Charles just watched her aunt, mentally shaking his head, thinking, 'It takes one to know one, Aunt,"

And when the women's room was fixed upstairs, far from his brother's and his rooms, Mrs Elmstone swiftly rose from her seat, her chin held high, and strode upstairs, not once looking back as of she owns the place, leaving her countless carpet bags and boxes in the floor for the maids to fetch.

For the nth time since Charles greeted the intruder, he shook once more, eyeing the numerous belongings of the woman.

'Goodness, does she plan on staying here for a year?' stressed Charles, frowning, wishing that he tagged along with Jude and Mari to the park this afternoon. Oh, how great his day was with this breakfast, laughing with Jude and Mari as if everything's gonna be alright, oblivious to the arrival of their godforsaken aunt.

It was almost midnight when Jude and Mari came back, still laughing as they climbed their way upstairs, the coachman all drowsy from waiting for them whenever they went since Charles prohibited them going out without the said coachman, the same coachman whom they journey from Colchester to London, the same one who reported them sleeping in the same bed back in the inn, not that both hold any grudges towards him.

"You go change in your room, Master Jude. I'll just prepare a hot tea for us," uttered Mari, grinning as they both laughingly slumped into the bed, his hand around her waist.