IX. Alone together

Christmas is approaching, that's for sure since it's all Mari talked about for weeks.

"What's your plan for Christmas, Master?" asked Mari, grinning as she combed his damp hair as she sat in the armchair, beside him.

Arching his brow, he answered, "I don't really celebrate Christmas,"

Frowning, "But it's Christmas," she said, halting momentarily on combing his hair, her other hand rested on his shoulder.

Shrugging, "Well, it's just another day for me,"

Shaking her head, "That cannot be,"

"But I really don't, darling,"

Yet, Mari answered none, yet grinning.

On Christmas eve, Mari was busy baking cakes and little muffins to which Jude is very, very fond of. Nevertheless, Mari barely had time to go upstairs to check on Jude.

Jude's probably sleeping, she thought as she resumed the preparation. Truth is, Jude doesn't know she's surprising him on Christmas.

She knitted a scarf for him a week ago and tell you what, she dreaded knitting but still thought it's a great present for him.

Mari had worn numerous coats over her since winter's harsh here in Buxton. She had already rekindled the fire in the drawing-room.

An hour later or so, Mari finally finished baking. Grinning, she fetched her present, smoothened her brown coat as she knocked on Jude's door.

However, unlike the past few weeks, he did not answer. Knitting her brows, she knocked once again and when no response came once more, she pushed the door with her foot since her hands were packed and as soon as she entered the room, the cold stabbed her very core and there he saw him in the bed, covered in blankets, shivering.

Mari, fast as she could, put down the cake and the scarf on the table near the door and raced towards Jude.

Sitting in the bed, her slender hand swiftly touched his cheek, realizing that he is, indeed, freezing.

Rubbing her palms together, Mari then cupped both his cheeks, hoping to provide warmth.

Jude, meanwhile, gingerly opened his eyes, still droopy, his voice weak, his body shivering as he said, "Mari?"

Mari nodded fast, her hands rubbing his arms now, "You're shivering, Muffin, wha-what happened?"

And when her emerald eyes roamed around the room, that's when she realized she forgot to light the fireplace.

Mari wanted to cry for her stupidity. How could she even forget to do what she must do first thing in the morning? Of course, Jude doesn't have the capacity to do that, with the logs being downstairs and the fire being dangerous.

Wrapping her arms around him tightly, "Oh, Jude, I am so, so sorry,"

"Not...your fault, darling," he answered, his lips quivering, in the color of blue.

"Why didn't you shout for me?" She asked, caressing his cold, cold neck.

"Didn't...wanna...disturb you," he answered, leaning towards her, his cheek on her shoulder.

"Oh, Jude, that wouldn't happen,"

As fast as she could, she raced downstairs to get as many logs as her hands could handle and went back upstairs.

Now that the fire is built, Mari went back to Jude who is still shivering in the bed. Slowly, she guided him towards the hearth, her hands still rubbing his cheeks and arms.