XIV.you're sick, Jude!

And would you look at that. Jude, indeed, caught a cold from yesterday, causing Mari to mentally curse herself over and over and over again, blaming herself.

As soon as she found him all pale, with a runny nose, coughing as he leaned back against the wooden headboard, his shirt unbuttoned, his chest hair flashing, she immediately runs towards him. "Oh, heavens, you have a cold,"

For a moment, she thought of calling a doctor but she doesn't know any doctor here. Plus, they're miles away from town, and she cannot bear leaving Jude here all alone.

But, he only shook his head then sneezed with the back of his sleeve, his nose crimson. His hair all ruffled up, sticking in all direction.

Mari brushed his hair, tucked it behind his ears, frowning, "I swear, Mari, all is fine," he assured, followed by another loud sneeze - on which Mari flinched.

"Nonsense. Now, stay here, I'll just prepare oatmeal," Mari then planted a soft kiss on his temple before dashing off to the kitchen downstairs, her hurried steps ringing across the whole house.

All throughout the day, eyes droopy, coughing, and sneezing constantly, Mari cannot help herself from frowning and apologizing. Chuckling despite his state, Jude patted her on the head, and assured her for the nth time, "I'm telling you, you ought not to blame yourself. Besides, it's all worth it,"

His cold persisted for three days, causing Mari to almost lose her mind - worrying over him over and over and over again, constantly checking his temperature, changing his clothes, and feeding him despite he is well and abled to.

Jude seldom gets cold. The last time he had one, he was still a young academy student. And like then, Jude cannot fall asleep. His eyes that felt like burning and his runny nose kept him from slumber.

As expected, Mari stayed with him, sitting beside the bed, a book prompted on her hand, reading to him.

When she had noticed he was sweating excessively, she tucked the book under her arm, and rose from the bed.

"Where are you off to?" asked Jude, his voice hoarse, a panic hinted on it.

This time, it was Mari's time to assure him. "Just gonna get you a fresh shirt. We have to get you change,"

She fetched a basin of warm water, a clean towel, dipping it in the water, and began dapping it on his face, on his back, on his shoulders, arms, and then chest. Jude remained quiet all throughout, not saying anything, just firmly closing his eyes.

Mari cannot help herself from gazing at his angry-looking scars all over his body, as if every area has one, bigger than the other. Even as she brushed against it, she dared not comment about it, holding her silence.

The first time she saw his scars, she was shocked to her core. She wanted to ask him about it but chose not to. He'll talk when he's ready. Besides, she doesn't want to appear like a gossipmonger for after all, it is not her business.

But she's no fool, she has a feeling it has something to do with the accident - one that caused his blindness. Mari, of course, could tell Jude was not born blind, and judging from the scars hidden beneath his beard, no wonder he refuses to shave. And how he avoids showing any skin to him as much as possible. But alas, he was too weak to protest with her fussing over him.

Even as Mari assisted Jude to wear the fresh loose shirt, he seemed to be in pain, it was the same look he had yesterday. With that, the realization hit her, about his arousal.

Biting her inner cheek, she flushed from head to toe but compelled herself not to look down and hint at any awkwardness.

Instead, she pretended as if she was oblivious. "I-ah, I'll just go wash these clothes downstairs, and I-ah...I'll prepare your tonight's supper," and before Jude could respond, Jude hurriedly raced downstairs, her whole body burning from embarrassment. Mari only prayed Jude didn't notice how early she decided to prepare supper.