Chapter Five

Cato does absolutely amazing on his interview. The whole Capital is taken with him, and he tells me that they fell in love with me too, but I don't really believe that. We're taken back to our apartment building, and Enobaria informs us that the 12 girl is becoming very popular. Her name is Katniss. Cato says he's going to kill her. The boy from her district, a boy named Peeta, told the crowd during his interview that he was in love with her. Neither of them has any idea how lucky they are. They don't have to worry about alliances, or anything else except each other. I wish Cato and I could be like that together.

Cato and I sit down on the windowsill. Cato hugs me tightly. "Clove, I'm gonna miss this." I nod and we both go over our plan.

I wake up in the same position I was when I fell asleep. Cato is still holding me. We both get up and wake up Enobaria, Brutus, and Aphrodite. Then I get ready. I take a long bath, and then Ingrid gives me 7 outfit choices to wear in the arena. I pick a burgundy tank top and a black vest for my knives. I wear a pair of olive-green cargo pants and thick-soled black lace up boots. I choose a really warm burgundy coat to wear on top. When I finally leave my room, I see Cato dressed up similar. Ingrid takes forever doing my hair. She starts with a high ponytail and then loops it and sections it off. Cato and talk while she does it. When she's finished, I tuck my book and iron pen in my pocket. Cato hugs me. We both know that this is the last time we'll get to show emotion for each other until Glimmer and Marvel are dead. The hug lasts a long time, and this time neither our mentors nor escort stop us. Aphrodite hugs me and shakes hands with Cato. "I'm going to miss you guys. Try your hardest, ok?" she says. Cato and I both nod soberly and then we say goodbye to Brutus and Enobaria. "Be that girl I met at the Reaping, the one that never lets someone else take their victory. Be her." Brutus tells me. Enobaria tears up, and she hugs me so hard I can barely breath. "Come back, ok?" she whispers to us. I nod. Then Cato and I leave. We've requested that no one go with us to the tube entrance. Cato and I separate, and I go to my tube. I step inside and immediately it closes. After a few seconds, it raises me up. I'm in a clearing, and all around me is woods. I see Cato, Glimmer, and Marvel in different places around me. I can hear the ticking. I'm terrified, but I keep a ruthless look on my face. I breath in and out, and plan what I'm going to do. I'll run to the cornucopia, get the knives, and protect Cato and myself. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5,4, 3, 2, 1. I dash to the cornucopia and grab the first set of knives I see. I whip around and stab a boy and the chest. A sickle was raised over his head, and I know if I had turned around a second later, my cannon would go off. I attach my knives to my vest and fasten a few machetes to my leg. I pull a small knife and throw it at a small boy who looks around 12. Just in front of him is Katniss. The fury that I received when I found out her training score returns, and I throw another knife. She blocks it with a backpack, and I scream with annoyance. Then I realize what I almost did. I run back around the cornucopia, fighting when necessary. I see Peeta and I breath a sigh of relief. Every part of me wants to scream, "Katniss went that way! Go help her!" but I don't. Instead, Peeta walks up to me. I pull out a knife, scared. "I'm not gonna hurt you, Clove. I want to help." he says. "Prove it." I say, handing him a machete. He goes out and resumes fighting and every so often will look back at me for approval. I nod, busy with my own battles. I hear Glimmer's pathetic scream and I go to answer it. But when I arrive, Cato has already taken care of it. I walk up to him. "Peeta wants to join us." I tell Cato. He nods, and then yells at Peeta. "Hey Loverboy! You wanna be a Career?" Peeta nods. After everybody has either died or run away from the cornucopia, us Careers (and Peeta) leave. The girl from District Four is with us, but her District partner is dead. "So, what do you guys wanna do now?" Marvel asks. "Hunt Katniss," I hear Cato say.