Chapter Ten

Day ten. Cato and I have finally been able to be ourselves, finally! I can hug him and laugh at his every word if I want to. We miss Marvel, but not that much. It's lunch time, and we have some jerky and dried fruit that wasn't damaged during the supplies explosion because it was in our packs. "Clove, do you think we can still pull it off?" he asks me. "Pull off what?" "You know, our plan." "Of course we can! They'll have no choice, both or none. And they won't pick none." I say, smiling. He smirks back. "Yeah," Cato says. A rainstorm hovers over us. It's weird, because everywhere else, the skies are clear. A sprinkle of rain falls on us. I smile at Cato. We had been running low on water, and now rain! It was perfect! We grabbed our water bottles and set them under the rain. Cato and I are happier today than we have been the whole time we've been in the arena. We're sitting there calmly when suddenly of voice comes out of nowhere. My bet is that it the game makers talking to us, and by us I mean all the tributes in the arena. "Attention, tributes, attention. The regulations requiring a single victor have been suspended. From now on two victors can be crowned if they both originate from the same district. This will be the only announcement." I hear them say. Cato looks at me. We both burst out laughing while at the same time, we're getting soaked because of the rain. He picks me up, and we spin in circles, kissing and laughing. We can go home together! We don't even have to finish our plan! I'm crying, I'm so happy. The rain keeps falling. "Clove, we're gonna win!" Cato hollers. He pulls me in for a kiss, and I let him. It lasts for a while, and when he finally lets go, I can't help but pull him back in. We laugh and dance around till we can't anymore, and then we drop and rest. Multiple parachutes fall down from the sky. A small cake is in one, and two glasses of wine are in another. In the last one is a small piece of paper. On it is a photo of Katniss and Peeta together. "They're your threat," is written on the bottom of the page. My smile falls off my face, and I take a deep breath. "Peeta, we have a chance. Remember what I said." I whisper. 

              For the next two days, Cato and I hunt and cook and talk. It would be paradise, but I mean, we're in a fight to the death gameshow. On the 12th day of the games, I hear the announcer again. He informs the remaining 6 tributes that tomorrow there will be a cornucopia feast tomorrow, with a pack for each district. The pack will contain what those district's tributes need most. Cato looks at me. "I have a plan. I'll patrol the outside of the clearing, and I'll warn you if anything's coming. You'll grab the pack, because let's admit it, you're much faster than I am." he says. I nod, and he gently kisses my forehead. "I'll take first watch. You get some sleep. We've got a big day tomorrow." But deep down, I feel like something will go wrong. Very wrong.