Chapter Seven

I wake up in the morning to Cato looking at me. "What?" I ask. He holds up a parachute with a huge Capital style breakfast in a little tin. "How did you get this?" he questions. I take the parachute out of his hands, curious. Sure enough, it has my name on it, and I know exactly how I got it. I make sure the others are still sleeping, and then answer. "Marvel kissed me. I didn't want him to, but he did. He did it to get sponsors. I would have woken you up, but you were sleeping so peacefully. I'm sorry, Cato." I tell him. Cato nods. "I understand." he says. He reaches in my boot and pulls out the pen I use to write. He takes the book too and writes in it.

whenever I say "tree" it means "I love you"

Cato is so sweet. We wake up the rest of our group and show them the food. Marvel looks at me. "Who was it for?" he asks, looking at me. "Clove," Cato says. I can see he's trying hard to resist the urge to slap Marvel in the face. Marvel winks at me, Glimmer hugs Cato. "Wow, look how pretty the trees are today." Cato says. I hear the tree part and smile. Cato loves me, no matter what Glimmer or Marvel does. We eat and then we start to pack up. The girl from District Four eats more than any of us. "Can we just go already?" Marvel asks annoyedly. Cato asks us where we would even go. None of us have any idea. "Can we go tribute hunting?" Glimmer asks. "Sure," I say. "We'll split up. Cato, Glimmer, and um, her, can go together, and Clove and I will go together." Marvel announces. "You sure?" Cato asks. I look at him worriedly. I really don't want to end up with Marvel, and I don't think Cato wants me to either. "That works, but what about Loverboy?" Glimmer says. "I guess he'll go with us." I say. Glimmer links arms with Cato. "I'm gonna miss the trees in this place." he says. Glimmer looks annoyed. "All the other trees are just like these ones." Cato shakes his head. "No, they're really not."

We split up and head out. Not even five minutes into the hike, Marvel has already started talking. "Clove, we both know why that package came." he says. "Yes, but we didn't even really need what came. We don't have to do this." I tell him. "I get it. We don't have to if you don't want to, Clove. And I know Cato doesn't really like Glimmer. She's pretty, but she's an idiot. Just don't let Glimmer find out that he doesn't like her. Alliance or no alliance, she'll kill him." Marvel whispers. I nod. "Thanks. But we can be friends, right?" "Right."

Peeta walks way behind us. "Hurry up, Loverboy!" I call. Peeta runs up to Marvel and I. "Hey," Peeta says. Marvel nods. "Hey," We all walk in silence for a while, not really knowing what to talk about. We pass a stream. "I'll fill all the water bottles." Marvel tells us. We hand him our canteens and he walks off. As soon as Marvel is out of earshot, I turn to Peeta. "Why would you leave her?! She's all alone! You just left her! I know you don't know where she is, so why do you still stick around with us? You need to be with her. Do you even know how lucky you are? Do you?" I say loudly. Peeta looks at me. He's mad. "I'm here because I want to protect Katniss.. I do love her. I'm not faking, if that's what you think. I didn't leave her. I'm helping her right now. If you guys find her, she's better off without me with her. If I'm in on the attack, I can save her. Get it?" he says angrily. I nod. "If Cato and I don't win, I want either you or Katniss to. But the second Cato and I have a chance at winning, consider you and your girlfriend dead. Ok?" I say. Peeta nods curtly, and then Marvel comes back. "The water's all clean." he says. Peeta and I both acknowledge him, and then I see Cato, Glimmer, and the girl from Four. I wave, and they walk over. "Any luck?" I ask them. I never get an answer though, because our conversation is interrupted by Katniss running through the woods, a fire chasing her.