Unrequited love~BH

"Don't do this Alex. Not here, not in front of everyone." I whispered to my boyfriend, Alex, who was screaming at the top of his voice at me.

"You can't tell me what to do Y/N!! You don't have the right. You never loved me and you played me for all these years!!! I'm finished with you bitch..." Alex yelled and started to smash things in our living room. I knew I couldn't stop him. I could only watch in absolute horror as he flung christmas decorations across the room, almost hitting my dad in the face. 

Slowly, my dad rose from his chair and inhaled deeply. I could hear the anger in just his breath and I knew something bad would happen. That was, until Ben, my best friend, stepped in and dragged Alex by his throat out of the back door and onto the frosty lawn, throwing him to the ground. Ben always took the protective role in my life. For the most part that was amazing and i was super grateful for him, but on other occasions it usually ended in a fight...

"Don't you ever shout at her again. Do you hear me!!" He growled, standing over Alex who was now cowering on the grass like a puppy. "Here's what's going to happen. You're going to get up off her lawn and you're gonna march that sorry ass of yours out of her life forever, do you hear me?" Alex nodded, not breaking eye contact with the angry blonde. 

"What about my stuff?" Alex whispered, his words nothing more than a squeak. Ben stifled a sarcastic laugh and lent closer to him.

"You must be joking, right? You think you can get away with destroying Y/N's living room and some of her christmas decorations? You think you can almost injure her father, the man you claim to admire? You honestly think she wants to see you again after today, after this horrific scene you caused on Christmas Day? Do you want to answer these questions or are you going to leave and never come back?" Alex nodded and began standing up. "Just what I thought, goodbye asshole!!!"

What Ben wasn't aware of was the fact that we were all watching from the dining room. Me, my mum, my dad and my older sister, Hallie. He glanced over at us all with an apologetic look in his eye. I slipped out of the sliding doors after telling the others to go and sit down. There was nothing to say, not right now. After everything that happened today I couldn't do anything except collapse into Ben's arms where stayed for what seemed like forever. For the first time in a year I felt free. I felt safe and completely myself.

Alex managed to slip out of the house pretty quietly and without much of a fuss. He mumbled a sorry when I let him out, only because Ben had attached himself to me and wouldn't let me out of his sight for even a second. My family didn't hang about long, they left me and Ben less than an hour later after helping clear up all of the broken ornaments and glasses from the carpet. 

"I'm sorry Y/N..." Ben whispered as I walked back into the lounge after changing clothes. I sat gently on the sofa next to him and took his hand in mine, looking him directly in the eyes.

"It's not your fault Ben. Never apologise for him, he doesn't deserve that treatment..." I spoke slowly and clearly, my thumb gently tracing his hand.

"I didn't want to make a scene but he completely overstepped!! He ruined Christmas darling... that's not fair." He replied, looking down at our hands to avoid my sympathetic look.

"I'm exactly in the place I want to be... Christmas couldn't be ruined, however horrible Alex was. I've got a beautiful family and my most favourite person sat next to me. What more could I want?"

*

"Benny?" I mumbled quietly into his chest as we lay watching a movie at midnight.

"Yes love?" He replied, not looking away from the TV in front of us.

"Will you stay with me tonight?" My eyes flicked up to look at him, his eyes still facing forward and the light from the screen reflecting in his glittering eyes.