Like Ice!

"I don't know, E! It's, I can't, I don't," Her eyes filled with tears as she stuttered over words, her brain feeling numb over everything

"I don't know, E! It's, I can't, I don't," Her eyes filled with tears as she stuttered over words, her brain feeling numb over everything. They'd been there for over two hours and Gene had been working on the same thing for half that time. Evie was being patient with her, every time she felt like she couldn't get it, they'd change methods. Gene had told her she'd be an amazing teacher to which the girl rolled her eyes saying she could never when you looked to the style teachers had to wear. So Gene said that she could be a textiles teacher and Evie looked like she was actually considering it before bringing up the fact that it would never be possible because they were getting the wand. 

"Hey, its okay. You realise you've done a whole page of work, right? Going from nothing to be able to do that is amazing! We're going to pause here, pick it up tomorrow, alright? Start anew with a fresh, unstressed perspective, it'll help," Gene nodded at Evie's words, leaning into the offered hug. She pouted slightly, sniffing as she turned her head to rest her forehead against her friend's shoulder. "Thank you," She mumbled, hearing Evie laugh lightly before another set of arms wrapped round them. Lifting her head, she grinned at Carlos who ruffled her hair, sitting next to her as he put his book on the table. "How's it going?" Gene shrugged and Evie shook her head lightly, handing the paper over to show the boy, "She's done all this so it's going great," Carlos smiled, looking over the work before looking to Gene, "See, that's amazing. You'll get it all in no time. You guys staying? I have to revise for chemistry, there's an exam coming up," Evie lightly shook her head as Gene answered him, "We're stopping. Heading back to the dorm. You could study there if you like?" 

Carlos shook his head, turning to his books with a sigh, "Nah, I'm good. I just saw Jane go in there and she practically screamed when I walked past. I mean, I'm not that ugly, am I?" He joked and Gene shrugged, pulling a face that said 'I don't know if I should answer that' that made his jaw drop and Gene laugh as quickly collected her stuff and moved back to avoid being hit by him. Evie laughed loudly along with an offended Carlos, the three being told to be quiet or leave so with one last wave, Gene and Evie left the library. There was nobody in there for the entire time until Carlos had came in. Gene had struggled with the lesson a bit even though Evie had said she would start with the basics and she wasn't wrong. She had taught Gene how to hold a pencil and how to write out the letters. A whole page of wobbly letters, some back to front, some half done. She couldn't do it just yet but she knew she had to practice. At least now she knew what letters were supposed to look like and she could spell out simple words.

The two headed to their dorm where they knew Mal already was and now thanks to Carlos, Jane too. Evie was explaining what happened with Chad, this lovesick puppy look on her face and Gene really hoped she didn't look like that when she thought of Ben. Reaching the door, Gene entered first as Evie squealed slightly at the thought of Cinderella's son which the brunette rolled her eyes at. Mal's eyes snapped to them as they entered, Gene also noticed Jane sitting on Evie's bed, ranting about something to do with her mother. "Where have you been?" Mal hissed as she marched over to the other two, closing the door for them as Jane stopped talking when hearing Mal's voice. She watched as Mal dragged the other two across the room towards her bed, Evie just rolling her eyes and collecting her stuff so she could sew. Gene looked at an annoyed Mal to an out of breath Jane and asked a question that she knew she was gonna regret: