{12} No One Here Can Love Me

CHAPTER TWELVE; NO ONE HERE CAN LOVE ME

merlin, what have you done to me?

: 'you really know how to make me cry when you give me those ocean eyes.'~billie eilish, ocean eyes

SHE HAD dragged him into the Astronomy Tower, closing the door quickly after them and looking at him

"Why did you do that last night?" She raised an eyebrow at the startled boy in front of her, whom was looking at her in confusion.

"Because-I-Leah.." He had trouble forming a sentence. Was he going to be honest with her? Could he confess to her?

"Don't play with me, Malfoy."

"I'm sorry." He spoke quickly, his voice strong. "I thought that pushing you away was the safest thing to do." Merlin, he was mentally hexing himself. He kept his posture straight though, studying her face for any reaction.

"What?" She sassed, intrigued. Pushing her away? What was that supposed to mean?

"I didn't mean what I said. We just-We just got too close." He sighed softly, searching for the right words. "There could never be anything between us, so I tried pushing you away."

"So you mean to tell me that you, Draco Malfoy, The Slytherin Prince, fancy me?!"

"Yes. By Salazar." He chuckled briefly at her blunt statement. "But because of that, there can never be an us."

"And you just assumed that I fancied you too?" She smirked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"No-No! That's not what I meant-"

"Calm down Malfoy, it's okay." She giggled at his sudden alertness. "I just wanted to see you flustered."

"Bitch." He muttered under his breath, chuckling afterwards. "I was just trying to protect you? And myself, if I'm honest."

"Wouldn't have expected anything different. You're afraid of daddy dearest finding out?" He nodded slightly, noticeably still troubled about the whole situation.

"He could disown me and I just don't want to risk it? Plus, I don't want anything to happen to you. I don't know how far my father would go to...cover up his son's relationship with a muggleborn."

"Muggleborn?" She repeated him, a bit confused. He copied her confused look, smiling softly.

"Yes? That's what you are isn't it?" She chose at that moment not yet to tell the boy she liked of her possible heritage.

"I assume so...I'm just surprised you didn't call me a...you know." His grey eyes softened as he looked at the girl in front of him. He realised that he'd hurt her. He found himself somehow feeling bad about it. He found himself ready to go to incredible lengths to get her to forgive him.

He found himself scared of just this.

Of the lengths he was willing to go to for her. The two teenagers spoke for the rest of the day. Enjoying each other's company. They didn't speak on any more serious matters, deeming it unnecessary to ruin the good time they were having.

[⚕]

"How dare you look at me? Filthy muggle."

"A new mudblood to play with?"

"Can I curse her first, my lord?"

A deep voice, laced with authority silenced the others. As usual, she couldn't see anything but shadows, shadows which hid silhouettes.

"Very well Lucius. Go ahead." The voices became a bit clearer, but she still couldn't see what was happening. She felt two arms holding hers tightly in place behind her back. Quickly, an unbearable pain entered her system and it felt as if every bone in her body had suddenly been broken. As if her body was trying to turn itself inside out. She felt her flesh tear open as her blood seeped to the floor. Her body shuddering as she screamed out, but the pain didn't stop, it seemed to be continuing endlessly, as the eldest living Malfoy continued chanting the curse.

"Enough, Lucius. We need her alive."

"Forgive me, My Lord, but for what would we need someone like her?"

"She's not who you might think she is, Lucius." Her vision was dark as usual, but it turned even vaguer as she started hearing something else, a woman's voice and someone else's.

Draco's.

"Mother please. Please." He pleaded to his mother. For her, perhaps?

"You can't help her, Draco."

"I have to. I promised her I would."

"If she loves you as much as you claim, she'll be happier if you stay here. Safe." Narcissa said. Clearly not going to change her mind.

[⚕]

She was awoken by hands on her shoulders, gently shaking her.

"Leah?" Her deep brown eyes met his grey blue ones. Once again they were filled with worry. Worry for her. The pair of Slytherins had fallen asleep together in the Astronomy Tower, her head on his shoulder as his head rested on hers.

"Nightmare." She muttered, driving a hand over her face.

"You kept mumbling my name. Are you okay?" A frown was present on his face as he looked at her in confusion.

"I'm alright Draco, truly."

"Merlin what have you done to me?" He questioned as he sat himself back down next to her. "We should stop seeing each other." He stated, getting up, giving her an apologetic look. "Leah-I like you, Salazar. I really do, but I can't-" She silenced him as she stood up, placing her index finger against his lips to gesture for him to be quiet. What followed was bound to change their lives. Not that they knew that yet though.

"I understand." She spoke confidently, raising to her toes to reach high enough, gently pecking his lips. His eyes were widened by the time she pulled away, staring at her in disbelief. She quickly walked out of the Tower. On her way to Raven. She couldn't believe what she'd just done.

[⚕]

Soon enough it was time for the Easter holiday. She hadn't spoken to Draco at all. She caught herself staring at him during dinner. She knew she shouldn't. She knew that what he said was true. There could never be anything between them. They just weren't meant to be. It wouldn't work.

She spent her holiday with Raven's family, as she did during Christmas as well. Their holiday was filled with studying and revising though. Leah wanted to ace those exams. No matter what, she would prove Parkinson wrong. She was going to show her exactly who was superior.