{33} Blood in the water

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE; BLOOD IN THE WATER

she-she stopped a killing curse, my lord. with her bare hand.

: 'put a price on emotion, looking for something to buy.' ~harry styles, fine line

"I knew her well. She was a warrior. Gave up everything to save those around her." The confidence and strength that the older wizard's tone held made Leah smile.

"Always knew the answers to questions. An outstanding quidditch captain. She was the beautiful example of house pride."

"Thank you-" Leah was barely able to choke out, quickly blinking away her tears. "-I really appreciate it."

"Not an issue at all, Miss Nightingale. I'm glad to be able to share information with you about your parents, and family."

[]

"Les rêves qui sommeillent dans nos cœurs-" She sang happily, moving around the room and putting her stuff in order, making her bed. "Aux creux de la nuit. Habillent nos chagrins de bonheur-" She loved to sing. She was no protégée, but she could hold a decent tone, if she said so herself. "Dans le doux secret de l'oubli. Écoute ton rêve et demain-" Besides, the songs were the only thing that kept her connected with the time she had spent in the orphanage. "Le soleil brillera toujours"

Without singing, she'd feel lost. It reminded her of who she had been.

So when she didn't know who she wanted to be, she'd at least have a way to remind herself of who she was.

He leaned against the doorframe, his face showing a smile of amusement, his eyes holding nothing but warmth. He stayed quiet and simply just observed the girl he was so lucky to call his.

All of his fears melted away for a second.

Everything, melted away for a second as all he could see was her.

For a moment, the world was no longer falling apart. Darkness was no longer doomed to pull them away from each other.

As Draco Malfoy leaned against the doorframe, watching Leah Nightingale, in complete awe, nothing could hurt them.

He would never let anything, hurt her.

For just a second.

Everything was perfect, before he felt the sting. The familiar burn. The excruciating fiery feeling that would spread from his mark, all the way through his arm. The burn that would not stop aching before he answered the Dark Lord's needs.

He wanted something from him and judging by the pain he felt, the Dark Lord was very unpleased.

[]

"Oh Rave..." She embraced her sister tightly, as she continued to cry. Both of them, cried.

"You'll be allowed at least two full weeks at home to deal with all of things that have to be dealt with, girls. My condolences." Leah Nightingale nodded as her bottom lip quivered.

"Thank you, Headmaster."

Crawford Manor was cold. Abandoned. Wrecked. There was stuff everywhere. Papers, books, sheets, pillows, cutlery.

It looked like there had been a hurricane inside the home.

Their room was trashed. Completely trashed.

The Crawford sisters gasped in unison as they saw the big words that had been burned into the wall of the once colourful living room.

Filthy Blood Traitors.

However, something didn't feel right. Leah Nightingale shrugged it off the first night. She was just on edge. Her bloody parents had been murdered. Again.

As she was awoken, in the dark depth of the night, she knew her gut feeling had been right.

"Where's the half-blood, dearie? Surely you're not as stupid as your folks. You'll tell us where she is, won't you? We know she left Hogwarts with you." Bellatrix exclaimed excitedly, a shrill laugh followed her words. "No?" She spoke in disappointment when Raven seemed to stay quiet. "Fine then.-"

"-Crucio!"

Leah quickly stood up and clumsily made her way down the stairs, trying to ignore the desperate cries that came from her sister.

"Stop."

The curse was lifted from the last remaining Crawford as she continued to cry out in pain.

"Ahh! There she is! Lady of the evening! Or...night?" How could this nutter of a woman be Draco's aunt?

Bloody Salazar.

"You keep your filthy Death Eater hands, off my sister, Lestrange." She'd replied fiercely, making sure she shielded Raven from the crazy witch that stood in front of her.

"She's feisty! No wonder my nephew likes you." Leah's breath hitched in her throat the second she realised who she was talking about.

She knew.

Curses were thrown around, and soon enough, Leah Nightingale had been disarmed.

However, she didn't give up.

She never gave up.

[]

A letter laid on his neatly-made bed. His mother's cursive handwriting was one he could easily recognise from all of the letters she'd sent over the years.

Draco,

The Dark Lord wishes for you to finish the task soon. He knows the cabinet has been mended, and he will send you a team of handpicked followers to assist you. It will happen a month from now. Aunt Bella will be there too. Please be careful. Follow the plan, Draco. If not for yourself, than for those who you love.

Love,
Mother.

He sighed deeply.

Just what was he going to do?

He was going to be forced to leave her behind.

He honestly wasn't sure if he could.

[]

"You have failed me, Bellatrix."

"B-But My Lord.." She protested weakly, her look one of disappointment. In herself, probably.

"What?" He snapped impatiently. The Nightingale girl had slipped right through his fingers yet again.

He was hoping to persuade her to the dark side.

Her powers had surely proven to be a match to his.

How else could a teenage witch, escape from at least half a dozen of Death Eaters, after watching her sister die.

"She-She stopped a killing curse. With her bare hand."

The Dark Lord nodded stiffly.

Though the news did pique his interest.

"Whom was the curse directed to, Bella?"

"T-Towards her."

"And she did what, exactly?"

"She stepped in front of her, muttered something I didn't understand, held out her hand, and the second the curse hit her palm it just...just..-"

"It what, Bellatrix."

"It just disappeared. As if it was never cast in the first place."