Chapter Twenty

Here we go-

~~~

On the way home, Shon was silent, still holding me close to his chest. Some passersbys asked if he were alright. He simply responded with a nod or a quiet yes.

It turned out that Shon missed the bus, due to the "fight" so walking home was the only other option at the time. He didn't even hesitate before rushing in his house's direction. Probably a better way rather than taking the same bus as the rowdy kids from earlier.

Since Shon lived farther away from the school than he had realized, I had plenty of time to rethink my thoughts I had previously processed. One being the fact that this world I was in wasn't much different than my world. The giants here had the same way of living as most people at my home did, which was pretty reasonable, to be honest. The only obvious differences were sizes. I constantly feel more vulnerable, more so than I had in my hometown.

Another thought I was going over was triggered by the sad expression on Shon's face. The school bullies. Guilt and hate rose inside of me as I thought about it. I had seen him laying, helplessly on the ground being 'tortured' in a sense. I felt so useless. Unable to rush in and save the day.

It reminded me of my old school memories and the awful experiences I had with the popular girls. The constant fear had always resided in the back of my head that they would come for me when I walked down the halls or even went to use the bathroom. They'd come up with an excuse to beat me up every single time.

A few tears rolled down my cheeks, causing me to sniffle. Less than a second later, Shon gently rubbed my head with his thumb.

"We are almost home. I'll get you all cleaned up and then we can watch a movie if you want." He said gently, continuing to caress my head.

Despite my perfectly skilled vocal cords, I couldn't find the words to say so I simply nodded, hoping he could tell.

~

"Welcome back-" Gage's voice seemed to cut off as we came through the door. I couldn't tell what was happening, but they were probably giving each other readable facial expressions of sorts. I just stayed silent and leaned against Shon's fingers.

"Can you take Evern to get cleaned up? I've gotta go change." He asked, lifting me away from his chest, holding me in front of Gage. He simply nodded with a smile before gently scooping me onto the palm of his hand.

I turned to Shon, but he simply gave me a weak smile and a light pat to the head before leaving.

"Do you want to take a bath?" Gage asked, breaking the small moment of silence. My eyes met his as I nodded.

"How?" I asked sheepishly, feeling immense awkwardness settle in. Gage just laughed at the red on my face.

"Preferably in a bathroom, I presume?" Gage said as he walked to the kitchen. After grabbing a small bowl he made his way to the small bathroom in the hallway. I was gently scooted off of Gage's hand onto the countertop as he let the bowl fill with soap and water.

"I do have some spare clothes for you, but sadly now towels that match your size. You can use a washcloth though. It shouldn't be much different."

I simply nodded, watching him as he set the bowl beside me.

"Give me a second and I'll go get them." And with that, he grabbed a washcloth off of the shelf, set it on the counter, then left the room.

At that time, I felt the water to make sure it wasn't too hot or too cold. I also looked around at the tiled floor and the tan-colored walls just as Gage returned, setting some clothes beside me.

"Thanks," I said, with a weak smile.

"Holler when you are finished, okay?"

My response was a nod, sending Gage out of the room with a small smile on his face.

I quickly undressed, setting my clothes to the side, then dipped myself into the warm water. At first, I scrubbed myself down thoroughly but soon I let myself enjoy the warmth.

After a few moments of letting my thoughts melt away, I remembered the brothers were probably waiting for me.

I rushed to dry myself and hop into my new clothes before running up close to the giant door.

"I'm done!"

Hoping to make myself heard, I strained my voice as I called for assistance and luckily after a few moments the door peeked open to reveal Gage.

He smiled his casual smile, setting his hand beside me.

With some slight help, I crawled to the center of his palm and held onto his thumb. Gage giggled a little as he dumped the soapy water into the sink. He set the washcloth as well as my clothes beside the faucet before heading back into the living room.

He took a seat on the couch, setting me on a nearby pillow. Soon he began to search through the tv looking for a movie to watch.

A few minutes passed by before Shon rushed in and hopped onto the couch. His spunk nearly caused me to roll off of the pillow. Luckily, he noticed and caught me.

"Find anything yet, Ging?" He asked, setting me on his shoulder instead of the pillow. I just rolled my eyes, but crawled over to his neck and leaned against it. I could feel him shudder at my cold hair but he didn't push me away.

"Nothing yet.. Maybe something animated?"

"What do you think, Evern?" Shon asked, leaning against the back of the couch.

"Sure! Anything is good to me!" I smiled as Gage selected a random movie.

It was a movie about a fish searching for their son. I found it quite interesting, but eventually, I felt sleepy. Again..

The movie seemed to get hazier and hazier, soon Shon's voice was barely audible.

Yet the last thing I heard before drifting off completely was..

"We need to let her go back."