Chapter Twenty-Two

The spark in my head was nearly overpowering, but I wasn't planning on knocking it away. I had to find Shon. I needed to. Even if it would take years, there was no plan to give up on finding the people who saved my life, even if it may have been a dream.

I trudged back to the house, taking one last look out to the valley with a smile. That beautiful view was back.. But this time it wasn't full of sadness. Instead with relief, almost as if I found the part of me that I had been missing.

Soon, I was standing on the back porch of the cabin. I took in a deep breath, then pushed the door open quietly.

As I tiptoed in, I noticed that the tv was still playing. It brought a small smile to my face as I rolled my eyes. I hadn't the faintest clue of what he was watching, but I guess it didn't matter. My brother was asleep anyways. I walked through the narrow hallway, slipped into the kitchen and poured myself a cup of tea as I waited for the toast to finish. Glancing at the wooden clock above the fridge, I sighed. It roughly read 8:55, which meant I may end up staying up for a while.

I had planned on doing some intense research online. Maybe I'd find the Garrisons.. Or maybe I wouldn't. Impossible to know if I don't do anything and this wasn't something I was willing to wait until morning.

"Evern?" I spun around to see my brother leaning against the door frame, a very tired look on his face. I couldn't help but smile a bit as he yawned and pushed his glasses up his nose.

"How'd you sleep?" I asked, hearing my toast pop up. Timothy just shrugged at the question.

"Fine.. What are you doing awake?"

For a moment I stayed silent. I wanted to make a remark about me being asleep for long enough because of the coma situation.. But then decided against it as I turned around to face him.

"Well.. You know how it is. Once I'm up, I'm up. I've got some things to do anyway." I admitted my voice still hoarse. Timothy just gave me an odd look as if I had spoken an alien language as I stirred honey into my tea.

"Stuff to do? You just woke up from a coma. What could you possibly have to do?" He asked, the confusion evident in his voice. I shot him a meek smile, holding the cup of tea in one hand and the toast in the other.

"It's.. research." I explained, slipping past him. Even though I left him confused, I left the kitchen and headed to my room. It was probably real dirty now due to inactivity.

Slowly, I opened the door and flicked the light on.

It really shouldn't have made me sad.. But the sight of my old room again caused a part of me to crack. Even though I probably wasn't even in a coma for that long,  my empty room brought tears to my eyes. I hadn't even made it a foot into my room yet.

"You going to be okay?"

Startled once again, I flinched and spun around, nearly spilling my tea. Timothy stood in the hallway, a few inches away from the doorframe.

"Oh.. Sorry 'bout that." My brother chuckled slightly, before reaching over me to ruffle up my hair. I rolled my eyes, setting my drink and food on the small desk by the door.

"I'll be fine." I said, hugging him with tight arms. It had been so long since I was able to do this.. Or at least it felt like it.

"You sure..?"

I nodded, pulling away from the hug. Timothy gave me the doubtful look but then sighed before smiling at me.

"Okay, well don't stay up too late. You're still in recovery."