Chapter 2

Ten years ago...

Smoke enters my nostrils spreading through the senses cutting off my ability to breathe. A glowing color of orange and yellow hues cracks a whip across every corner of the room, blinding my eyes with its brilliant light.

I am six. The fire spreads rapidly in the house; my eyes long to find my mother. The black, smoke obstructs my view of her as I feel myself being pulled away, carried off rather, as the scene transforms rapidly.

Two thousand years ago...

The room has changed now. Surrounding me are ornate pillars-gold laced columns, beautifully sculpted brick walls, and intricate hanging tapestries-exhibiting a rich history left behind from Greece or Macedonia. Marble floors cool my bare feet, hardly noticeable by the long gown I am wearing, supporting my off the shoulder top, fastened by a silk sash and woven belted cord.

I manage to locate a mirror. Hand carved inlaid with gold and copper engravings, the intricate designs of an artist who used the sea as his muse, I run my fingers through the surface of each ocean sculpture analyzing each inspiration for the piece.

It was then my eyes finally saw the center of the reflective surface. Looking back at me was a young girl. A young woman, precisely, sculpted into a radiant Galatea. Beautiful greenish blue eyes, the color the deepest ocean depths, saddened by something that had been troubling her. The dark curls of her hair bounced in unison to the harsh wind blowing from outside through her open window as a voice called out to her.

"Aoide?"

And once the water starts to rise...And Heaven's out of sight...She'll want the devil on her team...

--------------------------------------------

Sandra awoke from her dream.

1:00 a.m. Damn. Obviously, Billie Eilish was not her friend, as she forgot to reset her alarm clock correctly. She muted the radio.

Unable to sleep, she tossed the covers to the side, and tiptoed downstairs to the kitchen.

Her Aunt Brit found her. Right in the middle of stuffing her face with a package of Oreos, a bag of potato chips, and a glass of milk. Sandra refused to know how many calories she just consumed.

"Oh no, honey," exhaled Aunt Brit with concern. "The nightmares are starting again, aren't they?" She poured herself a glass of milk to warm up in the microwave.

"It wasn't too bad this time. At least, it wasn't all about the fire."

Britta "Brit" Soledad originated from Portugal and met Lee Shan when they were graduate students at the University of Miami. After a three-year courtship, the two finally tied the knot and have been in marital bliss ever since. A year later, after the tragic death of Lee's sister, Linda, the couple became the legal guardians of Sandra raising and loving her as their own daughter. For Brit and Lee, who unfortunately could not be blessed with children, little Cassandra Shan came into their lives forever cementing the trio as a real family.

"I'm sorry you're dealing with it," Brit commented. "I wish there was some way you had a sense of closure."

Sandra dipped the Oreo into her milk. "Me too, Aunt Brit, but I've blocked out everything about the accident except for a few bits and pieces. Tell me again what the police report said?"

Brit sighed before taking a sip of her warm milk. "According to the investigation, there was a freak lightning storm that time in Miami, when we were all living there. You were six then. Somehow, one of the flashes struck a telephone pole smashing through the window of your house. The initial spark from the wires ignited a massive home fire which trapped Linda inside. Luckily, emergency crews arrived to rescue you, but unfortunately your mother never made it out. It was just a bad accident. Sandra."