Chapter 12

Palm trees shook through the ocean breeze, but the humid air of the Miami heat made little impact in keeping them cool. Sandra cracked open the window of Patrick's car hoping to get some air circulation inside the vehicle. No such luck. Even in her yellow spaghetti strapped dress, she still felt hot. Opting to people watch, she took in the residents in their bathing suits parading down the sidewalk of the downtown streets hoping to escape this sudden heatwave.

"We're getting close Sandra," said Patrick turning the steering wheel near an alleyway. "Station 32 on Lopez Avenue, right?"

"That's what I read in the letter," she answered. She remembered the letter that Peter Chadwick wrote and his information. She hoped this trip would provide some answers.

A strong arm held her. Patrick unbuckled his seatbelt, moved in close, and kissed her. She could sense how he much he cared for her.

"It's okay Sandra. Don't cry. Look, are you sure you want to do this? It might bring up too many painful memories."

She reassured him. "It's okay." She wiped a tear from her eye. "I have to do this. I'm hoping get some closure on my mother's death."

"I understand," said Patrick. "But how do you know if this fireman even remembers you? It was ten years ago."

"I at least have to try." She planted a quick on Patrick's lips then proceeded to unbuckle her seatbelt. "Let's go."

They got out of the car, crossed the street to get to the fire station and walked up to the driveway of the garage. A stocky gentleman cleaning a fire truck greeted them.

"Can I help you?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm looking for someone who works here. Peter Chadwick?" Sandra informed the fire fighter. "Is he still here?"

"Yeah, Peter is still here," replied the fire fighter. "Unfortunately, he is taking a week off due to family issues, so he won't be back till next week. You just missed him. Did you want to leave a message?"

"I was hoping to talk to him. Does he have an address?"

"I'm sorry Miss but it's policy that we can't give out the personal information of our crew. If you want to leave your name and number, I'll make sure he gets it."

Sandra had hoped to meet with the man who saved her. Undeterred, she focused her questions on the fireman.

"Actually, you might be able to help me," she told the fire fighter. "Do you remember about ten years ago about a weird fire that happened not far from here during a freak lightning storm?"

"How could I forget," remarked the fire fighter. "It on was on Collins Street, I believe."

Collins Street. So that's where I lived. Sandra thought to herself.

"We picked up an emergency call that night. The storm was terrible, that it struck a couple houses in the vicinity but surprisingly none of them sparked a blaze. Only one house did, and it was like one big explosion. It nearly took out the entire neighborhood. A mother and six-year old girl were trapped inside. Peter rescued the six-year old but the unfortunately, the mother didn't make it. I always wondered what happened to that poor little girl."

"She's standing right here," smiled Sandra. "Hi, my name is Sandra Shan." She waved at him.

The fireman threw down his rag, ran excitedly to Sandra with both arms open, and shook her shoulders.

"Oh my God! You're the girl Peter saved!" he exclaimed. "Look at you! You're all grown up!"

"Yeah," she giggled. A small shade of crimson developed on her face. "That is kind of why I'm here. I want to thank the man who rescued me."