Part 2

Bruno could hear the muffled voices move past his door. He cautiously opened the door, just enough to hear the men in the hall.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice." His father said, his voice filled with concern.

"It's no trouble, your highness," The second voice replied. "Just remember to let him rest when he needs it.He'll more than likely want to stay in bed for the next few days at least. His condition isn't curable, but I can treat it. The medication I gave him will make him tired and I would recommend having someone check on him through the day."

"Of course, thank you again."Viktor said. Bruno carefully pushed open the door the rest of the way, seeing the dark haired man bow to his father  before descending the stairs. Viktor hesitated before turning in the opposite direction and walking further down the hall. The teen followed, watching the king stop at Heine's room and enter, closing the door softly.  Bruno was soon joined by his brothers, all of whom seemed to have the same idea. 

"Why would Father be sneaking into Professor Heine's room like this?" Licht whispered as they stood in the hall. "I saw him with his doctor a few moments  ago."

"I'm inclined to believe there's something our father is trying to hide. Though I don't know exactly what it is, our conclusion can only be that it's something to do with our royal tutor." Bruno concluded.

"What could it possibly be though, if Father thought the doctor was needed,"Leonhard questioned. " Heine can't be-"

"I'm afraid he can be, brother. Professor Heine is still human, he can be ill or injured just as everyone else can be." The princes shared a worried glance.

"It must be terrible if Father-" before Licht could finish, the door opened and the boys found themselves facing the king. 

"I specifically told the four of you to be in your rooms and to use this time to study on your own." Viktor said sternly. 

"We're sorry, Father. We heard voices and-"

"No excuses. You disobeyed me, return to your rooms and wait there, I'll be seeing you shortly about your punishment."

"But-"

"Not another word, go on." The king demanded.  The princes bowed their heads.

"As you wish." they said in unison, doing as they were told, leaving the older man to disappear back into the room and return to the tutor's bed. Viktor knelt by his bed.

"Don't be too hard on them, Viktor. While  don't condone your sons going against you, consider the situation before you make any decisions. I have no right to interfere with how you parent the princes,but I think it's important to  keep in mind that their behavior is a reflection of their father." Viktor shook his head.

"Always on their side, I see that hasn't changed."

"When the occasion calls for it, yes.

 They are my students after all and it's part of my responsibility to them."Viktor smiled faintly. 

"Is that it?"

"Yes." Heine replied. "I take my job very seriously."

"I know you do and I'm grateful for that. Thank you , my friend. Heine shifted uncomfortably in bed, his arms wrapped tightly around his belly. 

"It is as it should be."

"No, Heine, it is as it must be.My life would have been completely different had you taken my invitation."

"You know why I couldn't. Your place is here as the king. It could never be any other way. I am only here because of our friendship." The blond sighed.

"I suppose if that's how you see it."

"Viktor-"

"It's fine, I understand. You've been putting others before yourself since before I met you. I'm not surprised to see you still trying to protect my family. "

"I do owe you my life." Viktor shook his head.

"No.  You don't owe me anything at all. That's what you do when you find the one person-when you care about someone...but you should rest now, I have to have a talk with the boys. Your medicine should take effect soon and hopefully we'll have you feeling better soon. Do you need anything?"

"Just rest for now, thank you." Viktor fixed the blanket around Heine before standing up. 

"If you do need anything at all, I'll be back to check on you  as soon as I have a minute. 

"You shouldn't worry about me, you have a kingdom to run. I shouldn't take any sort of-"

"You always will, regardless."the blond insisted. 

"It's not the job of a king to tend to someone like me. I can manage, I always do."

"I know, Heine. I know you can. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be concerned for you."Viktor pointed out.

"You shouldn't be. My life is not in danger, it's my problem to deal with. Please give it no more thought."

"That's asking too much, my friend. I've watched you struggle through this before and you can't expect me to allow you to suffer on your own. I promised you-"

"There is nothing more for you to do, Viktor. You have more important things to attend to. "Viktor opened his mouth to reply but thought better of it. There was no arguing with Heine. 

"If that's what you want." He said reluctantly.

"It is as it should be."The red haired man repeated. "Whether or not you and I like it. "

"Rest well, Heine. I hope to find you in better health sooner rather than later." Viktor exited the room with a heavy sigh.  He always hated seeing the shorter man in pain, it was heartbreaking.  Heine was absolutely brilliant, but also quite stubborn. 

The King hesitated for a moment before making his way back to his study to decide what to do about his boys...and their tutor.