Part 10

Viktor sighed, Heine struggled to adjust to the medication. He slept without waking the following day,  causing Viktor and the princes great concern. The king again summoned the doctor, who explained that the combination of exhaustion and medication was causing the problem. 

"Keep a close eye on him, but let him rest." the doctor instructed. "On the next dose, you're going to want to give him just about half. It seems it's stronger than I originally anticipated in your tutor's case.  I wouldn't be overly concerned at the moment, just be sure that when he does wake up, he doesn't dehydrate. "

Viktor reached out, lovingly stroking the shorter man's soft, red hair and taking his holding his hand with the other.

"Heine, my dearest love...I do hope that when you wake, you're feeling better. The boys and I missed you today. I let them have the day off from their studies, they simply couldn't focus. I had a difficult day, myself without you." The sun was beginning to set when at last Heine opened his eyes to find Viktor lying next to him. The King smiled.

"How are you feeling, Heine?"Viktor asked softly. 

"A bit groggy, perhaps, but aside from that, much better."

"Good. We were worried about you, you know. You've been sleeping for a long time. The doctor said once your body gets used to your medicine, it'll get easier and everything will be as it was. "

"I'm grateful to you and the boys for being so attentive and caring. Do you have any time for yourself today?"Heine moved closer to the blond.

"For you, I have all day. Did you need something?"

"I was hoping that given our circumstance if you might hold me the way you used to, one last time."The king pulled Heine into his arms, allowing him to rest against him, nuzzling his cheek softly. 

"I would hold you forever, you know this. Why must it be the last? You are my forever love, that cannot be changed. If your only concerns are what we talked about before-"

"They're enough. What would the people of your kingdom think of your family if they knew about us, what about your children?"

"The people's thoughts don't concern me. The only thing that matters is you are loved and we are happy. What can I possibly do to prove how precious you are to me, there is isn't anything I wouldn't do. I would find a way to bring you the moon if only you asked. We walked away from love once and my heart shattered, I am asking you to reconsider."

"You don't need to prove anything to me, you have already done that time after time, in keeping your promise and risking your life for mine. You went out of your way to care for me as well as our little ones. We survived one of the worst winters to date because of you. There will never be a day in my life that I don't love you with all my heart, Viktor. Never a day that I don't wish things could have been different for us. I want only the best for you and your family. No good will come off-"Viktor cut him off with a kiss, quickly deepening the affection.  Heine lightly pressed a hand to his chest.

"Viktor-"

"Can you honestly tell me that didn't feel right? As though we never left? Tell me you don't miss us.

"In all honesty," Heine said gazing into Viktor's eyes. "I cannot. I remember the first time, lying in the grass, under the night sky. how beautiful it truly was."

"Yes, it was perfect. The way the moonlight fell into your eyes. I-I-I've never been more sure of anything in my life, you are the one. I know you're conflicted, but please, for the time being, think of what makes you happy, you deserve that. Don't you agree that the heart is-"

"Whatever I agree or disagree with, you and your children mean more to me than you know.  I will always put all of you first. 

"Give it a bit more thought, who better to teach them than you, after all, you've already gotten through to them, you are the only tutor who can possibly show them the way."

"You have far too much faith in me, Viktor."

"Maybe you just don't want to face the truth, we need you. Now that you no longer need to worry about your pain, don't you think it would be a good idea to let yourself-"

"My plan will not change. It's because I love you more than my own life that I can't do allow it to. Why must you make this more difficult?"

"It doesn't have to be this way."

"It is as it must be, for the good of the-"

"This is the life we should have had, stay. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could wake each morning to see each other lying there, to be a family? This is the life we should have had."

"But then you wouldn't have your children." Heine reminded. Viktor smirked.

"Stop it," Heine warned.

"I can't help it. wouldn't it have been incredible if you and I could have been together and the children-"

"That's enough Viktor."

"But Heine, you and I could have had such beautiful children. Think of it, the boys and Adele-"Heine pulled away with an exasperated sigh, his face blushing slightly. 

"Must you say such things?"

"I'm only saying-"

"I know exactly what you're saying and it's comments like those that are exactly why we wouldn't have, even if it was somehow possible." The king chuckled.

"Oh Heiine, you're so adorable when you blush." He teased. "All joking aside, as much as it hurts me, I'll respect you decision but I ask you to always remember, that should you need anything, you can come to me. I will take care of you. I have always promised you that and I intend to keep that promise. I hope that regardless of what you choose, you at least allow me to continue to provide your medicine."

"Viktor-"

"I can't let you go back to that, my love. Call it a gift, one I give in the hope that one day you will no longer suffer from your ailment. A gift from a friend if you find it easier to accept. You don't need to respond now, and of course, you can take all the time you need to think it over, We would be more than happy to have you. "

"I don't doubt that. I enjoyed seeing the boys again and meeting your daughter, but someone like me does not belong in such a place."

"Your place has and always will be with us.  Just one little word, that's all I need. Think about it,won't you?" Heine said nothing, there was no getting through to Viktor. He could never hope to make Viktor  understand. For the moment, he would enjoy the love and affection, even though he knew it was all going to end with broken hearts,