Part 11

Viktor wandered through the garden sorrowfully, a single red rose held gently in his hand. The princes watched from a short distance away. 

"Should we go over there?" Licht asked. "Father seems so sad. "

"I'm sure he must be. Professor Heine is nearly well enough to leave us. I admit I'm not looking forward to it myself." Bruno sighed. "It's a shame, after everything He's done for us through our lives, everything he's taught us, it doesn't seem right."

"There has to be a way to make him stay with us, "Leonhard added.

"We can't force him to stay, that is a choice he needs to make. I can't help feeling it's at least partially our fault for pressing them for the information. Perhaps Professor Heine wouldn't  be so adamant about leaving us.  It's probably best to give Father some time to himself, we'll check in with him this evening." The princes agreed, moving back inside.

Viktor lowered himself down onto the bench with a heavy sigh. Usually, he would enjoy walking among the brightly colored flowers Shadow joined him, resting his head on the king's lap, whimpering softly. Viktor gently rubbed the dog's head.

"You've always been a good boy, I'm glad Heine convinced me to bring you home. I wouldn't normally do this, but since you're here and no one else is around to judge me...I know it's out of my hands now. Heine's feeling better and soon, he'll be gone. I'll know where to find him, of course, but it's not the same. You see, I lost him once already and it broke my heart. As painful as it is, maybe he's right, if it makes him happy, I should just let go. After all, isn't love putting their needs and wants ahead of your own? I only wish I could make him see what he means to us, that he is our family. I believe in his heart, Heine-"

"Is this a bad time?" Heine asked, appearing at his side. 

"You should be resting. Are you still in pain?"

"A bit of discomfort, but I've been worse. I was hoping to talk to you, and here I find you seeking counsel from a dog." Heine teased.  Viktor smiled faintly.

"Please, join me. I could use the company." The tutor sat down next to him.

"What do you want to talk about?"Heine sighed. 

"You have been acting..different over the last few days. The princes are concerned."

"They said that?"

"They didn't have to, I could see it in their eyes during their visits. You've been wandering around the garden now for at least an hour as if you just left a funeral. A bit dramatic wouldn't you say?"The red-haired man asked.

"Perhaps I'm mourning the loss of what you and I once shared. I held onto the hope that one day, I would have you back. You can't expect someone to lose the love of their life and not feel some kind of pain. despite what some may believe, Kings are people too, we feel pain just as easily. 

"I know I've hurt you, and that was never my intention.It hurts me to see you this way, it's very unlike my Viktor. That fault lies with me. Understand that it would do far more harm to you if I gave in. To know I'm capable of helping you to ease the pain you feel and be so restricted by the laws and expectations-The truth is, I am weak." 

"You and I seem to have that effect on each other, Heine. Maybe you're right and we are weak, maybe you and I shouldn't feel this affection for each other, but I think I'd prefer to call it by something else." Viktor offered the rose to the shorter man. The king slid off the bench to kneel in front of Heine.

"Viktor-"

"The fact that we've held each other so closely in our hearts after all this time must mean something."

"Someone is going to see you."

"Let them. I will not allow you to walk out of my life without saying this to you."

"Kings do not kneel before people like me."

"But we often bend to either our hearts or our heads. You Heine are my heart, I chose that path years ago. You have made so many sacrifices. I appreciate everything you've done and continue to do for the sake of the people of this kingdom and my-our family. It's time now, time for us to happy together. You belong-"

"I don't belong in a place like this, especially after everything I've done to you. "

"You didn't-"

"I almost killed you, that's not something-"

"Heine, I'm still here. You never asked me to protect you, but  if it had been you, if I lost you in that way,I would have followed soon after. I would die of a broken heart."

"What made you think I wouldn't?"

"You're stronger than you think, I know you would have the ability to move on without me."

"That theory of yours was proven flawed fairly quickly."Heine looked away.

"I've told you this before, I'll repeat it as often as you need to hear it, but please believe me when I say that this is where you belong." Viktor pulled Heine close to him. "This is where you belong, without you, I would not be the man I am today. You made me a better person. I love you with all my heart. Remember what I said about letting your heart speak." Heine returned the embrace. 

"It gave me a lot to consider. It came down to the same choices it always does.  Be selfish and possibly make trouble for the ones I love, or lose everything I hold dear and allow you to enjoy the life you have. "

"I would take any trouble in the world for you. Be selfish for once in your life, you raised our little ones and they turned out to be wonderful, successful people. I remember you showing me a letter from them recently. Each and every one of them wanted you to find happiness. For them, our boys and for us, please don't rush into the decision. You are loved and wanted, this can be your home, come back to me."

"You made the decision difficult for me.  I took your advice, weighed my options and the princes gave their thoughts. I thought you might like to know."Viktor held him tighter, almost afraid of the answer. 

"What have  you decided, my love?"

"My heart won. I only hope that none of you end up regretting-"

"This is wonderful news, I promise you, not a single day will pass when I don't show you how precious you are to me. We'll make it work. You cannot imagine how happy you've made me.  Have you told the boys?"

"No. I thought that might be a conversation you and I should have with them." 

"It sounds like the perfect occasion to have a family dinner tonight, you will join us,won't you?"

"I can't make that promise. My medicine makes me tired and although it seems to be helping, I am not sure I'll be able to-"

"I'll handle everything. You just do what you can to relax. " Heine pulled away. 

"I'm sure you could assist me with that." Viktor kissed him lovingly. 

"Of course,  I've always promised I would take care of you." Viktor stood, pulling Heine up with him and escorted the tutor back inside. 

A/N Hello Dear readers. I hope you enjoyed this story. This chapter is the final one.. Thank you for all the support. Best wishes to you.