Part 5

Heine shifted uncomfortably in bed. He had no doubt that Viktor would soon join him. Although the king hadbeen forced to step away, he made a point of ordering his sons to allow their teacer to rest quietly and uninterrupted. 

The stillness that filled the room had allowed the tutor's thoughts to return to the conversation earlier that day,stirring up feelings that he had forced himself to push aside many years ago.  Heine had only managed to hide his true feelings from the outside world, but in truth, his heart had always belonged to Viktor that wasn't likely to change. 

A soft knock at the door caused Heine to force himself to sit up on the edge of his mattress. 

"Professor?"Leonhard called from the other side of the door. 

"Come in, Prince."Heine invited,not entirely surprised by his visitor. Leonhard stepped inside, a tray carrying a single tea cup and tea pot was held in his hands. 

"Father said peppermint tea would help you feel better."He said, approaching the bed and placing the tray on the bedside table. 

"That's very thoughtful, thank you, Prince Leonhard."Heine said, watching the teen pour the liquid into the cup, Heine took the object, touched by the gesture. 

"I should tell you before you drink it, this is my first time making tea. I just wanted to do something to thank you for everything. I know we weren't very welcoming when you first arrived and..I guess I just wanted to ask how you're feeling."

"Not particularly well, I'm afraid." The older man replied, taking a sip of tea. "For your first try, it is done very well." The prince grinned.

"Good. I was worried it wouldn't turn out right.Do you need me to get father, he could send in the doctor?"

"That's not necessary.  the saying 'it gets worse before it gets better' is often true in regards to my illness."

"Is there anything else I can get for you?"

"No, thank you. Rest will help along with the tea. "Leonhard looked away.

"I hope it'll stop soon, I-we prefer your lessons to studying alone in our rooms.  It's much easier to get distracted in there."

"It will be more manageable in just a few days, possibly sooner."

"When does it go away completely?"the prince inquired.

"It doesn't. There is always a faint discomfort, sometimes it becomes more,but resting does help."

"Professor, I-I know we haven't been the most well behaved princes and I'm-"

"I promise you, it is not something you had any part in. "Heine placed the cup on the bedside table. "As far as your distraction goes, is there something specific that keeps you from your work?"

"Yes. I don't take change well."

"Changes can be quite difficult, but that is how we grow, Prince. You can't expect everything to remain the same. Change though it may be frightening at times  is also progress.  It can be positive."

"This isn't. We went from having a tutor we  didn't like at all to having to study alone, then you came to teach us and we actually like you.  Now you're ill and-"The prince sighed. "It's strange not having you teach us and being sick..."

"I see. " The red haired man replied. "As I explained earlier, there is nothing to worry about, I will be fine."

"Yes, I remember. But you're planning to leave us when you're feeling better. We don't always act like it  Professor, but we need you here. You mean a lot to us and-

"Leonhard, now isn't the time for such conversations. Heine isn't feeling well. We can revisit this topic when he's well." Viktor said, entering the room and approaching them. "Give me time to speak to Heine in private.  Depending on how he feels, you may be able to visit with him later on."

"Yes Father. "The teen said turning his attention to his tutor, bowing his head slightly. "Please be well soon, Professor." He turned, crossing the short distance to the door and pulled it closed behind him.  Viktor sat down beside Heine.

"I'm sorry I had to leave you so suddenly. The king said. "Has there been any change?"

"Yes, unfortunately not for the better. It's steadily getting worse." The red haired man answered.

"Should I send for the doctor?"Viktor offered, Heine shook his head.

"No. There isn't much to be done. It passes on its own, you know this. "

"I do. But if you need something more, I want you to be able to get it."Viktor drew in a breath. "I miss you, Heine."

"I've been here for-"

"No. I miss you...us. "

"Viktor-"

"Can you honestly tell me you don't?"

"Viktor, our time together was the best time in my life, it was truly amazing. No one had ever loved me the way you did, nor had I met anyone that was so willing to devote so much time and energy into caring for people like us. We were given incredible  opportunities to better ourselves and I will always be grateful to you for all you've done and yes, I will always love you but it can never happen again."The King bowed his head.

"Losing you was the most painful -I still wish you would have taken my offer. We could've made a wonderful life for not just us, but our little ones."

"Tempting though it was, I couldn't. You and I both know it had to be this way, for the good of the kingdom. That was the only way our little ones as you call them, could ever have a real chance as well as others who were far less fortunate. We could get by, but there were others that also depended on you keeping your promises. We pulled ourselves up and many of those children made something of their lives, that would never have been possible without you." Heine winced as the pain in his abdomen increased.

"Do you remember how I used to hold you when you were feeling ill], the way I would pull you close to me and you would rest your head on my chest while I-"

"Viktor-" The King slipped an arm behind the red haired man, carefully pulling him into his arms, letting Heine's head rest on his chest, his free hand found it's way to Heine's belly, using a gentle pressure to ease the pain.

"It is not the responsibility of the king to-"

"When it's just the two of us, I'm just Viktor and as I promised, I will always take care of you.  You make it sound as if it's a chore to do these things, it's not. You are a precious gift and I don't deserve you." Viktor kissed the top of the shorter man's head. Heine relaxed against him, listening to the rhythm of his love's heart.

"I miss you too." Heine admitted.

"Then say you'll always be with me, make this your home. "

"You know I can't do that."

"I let you go  once and it broke my heart. I've continued to love you all this time. What was that saying...If you love someone set them free and if they come back to you-"

"Please don't make this harder than it already is." Heine pleaded.

"We both set each other free and here we are. We came back didn't we?"

"That isn't what-"

"Shh, just rest, my precious Heine, tonight everything is as it should be."