Part 4

The teens sat in stunned silence, processing the new information. They stared at their father in disbelief. 

"Y-you were in love with Professor Heine?" Licht questioned tentatively. 

"I know it's a shock, but yes in all honesty, I do to this day. Heine is quite amazing. I was intrigued by the way he cared for the others. He was the eldest in a group of orphans who had no choice but to live as best they could. They depended on Heine to show them how to survive.  Of course at the time he had no idea who I really was and I had a lot to learn about the outside world. I was ignorant to the ways he and the children had to live. by now you know there's no teacher quite like him, he was the one who opened my eyes to what needed to change.  This kingdom would not be what it is today without him.  needless to say, we spent as much time together as we could. I would often sneak out of the castle to meet with him, sometimes bringing him small trinkets to sell or food. I made him a promise, everyone would be given a chance to be educated, to better themselves and I have done my best to keep it."

"I'm sorry, I'm still a little confused." Bruno added. "I mean, you love professor Heine, but you married our mother and had all of us."

"It's only natural to be confused, prince. You had an image of your father that you knew to be true. Sometimes what is expected of you isn't exactly who you are but for the good of your kingdom, sacrifices are sometimes necessary.  There are standards for a king that must be upheld." Heine explained, doing his best to ignore his pain.

"So you started out as friends, but what changed, who fell in love first?" Leonhard asked. 

"Your father did. I grew up on the streets, and in those situations you learn quickly not to trust people. In the beginning, I was hesitant to allow the friendship. The relationship turned quickly, for your father. I was well aware of his feelings for me, sometimes using them to my advantage in a dire situation. I encouraged him to bring more items of value during the winter and Autumn months especially.  Some of the younger children would become ill quite frequently during that time.  He also began bringing more food and blankets."

"I only wish I could've brought more food. You really used to worry me." Viktor admitted. "There were days at a time when you wouldn't eat, instead offering it to the others.  I knew that's why you allowed me to get so close to you, for their benefit." The princes bowed their heads.

"So did you ever really love him back, Professor?"

"Yes, I did. The turning point was the night he came to us and I wasn't feeling well. A normal visit would have been him meeting with me and we would go together to where we were staying. This particular day, he was met with one of the younger members of our group without my knowledge." Viktor nodded.

"I remember that. The girl ran up to me, obviously deeply concerned. She explained that something was wrong with Heine and I had to do something. It was the first time I'd witnessed his illness. He'd separated himself from everyone to shield them from it. I still recall him sitting on the ground, leaning against that wall, his body trembling from the pain."

"What did you do, father?"Kai inquired. 

"The only thing I could do, I knelt beside him, pulled him close to me and promised him I would care for the others until he was well. The way to Heine's heart is through the ones he cares for." 

"Not only did he keep that promise, he also managed to find the time to care for me as well. At one point he even offered to bring me medicine. It wasn't until I saw how he managed with the younger ones that I realized that he genuinely cared and I returned his love. My illness was excruciating and draining. Your father often allowed me to rest against him, there was something about the way he held me that helped me to relax." The red haired man explained.