Part 9

Heine rested against the wall, just out of sight of the children he cared for. His arms crossed over his belly. The excruciating pain made it impossible for him to continue with his responsibilities. He had attempted to force himself to his feet, but the movement only added to the discomfort. 

"He's in there." the small female voice reached his ears suddenly. She was obviously deeply concerned.  "He only goes in there away from us when he doesn't want us to see." She sniffled. Heine mentally kicked himself for allowing the pain to keep him down and causing the others to worry, they had enough to deal with and they had been counting on him.

"Please Viktor, make him better, We love him lots." Heine's heart dropped. He hadn't expected her to bring Viktor. 

"I know you do, Marie." The prince soothed. "I'll see what I can do. Until then, please try not to worry yourself too much. You know Heine doesn't like it when you're upset. Maybe you should find Michael  and play. When I finish talking to him, I'll get you know." It only took only seconds for Viktor to join him. Heine gasped at the sudden stab of pain that rushed through his abdomen, letting out an involuntary whimper.

"Heine,"Viktor knelt beside him. "My dear friend, are you not well?"

"It will pass, there is no need to worry. I'm fine."

"You seem to have an odd definition of 'fine.' Everyone is worried about you. Are you ill?"

"They are not used to me separating myself from them. In just a few days,everything will be back to normal. Perhaps even by tomorrow if all goes well O should be able to-'

"If you're unwell, you should rest and give yourself time to recover. If you explain what's wrong, I may be able to get you some medicine. Tell me what you need, Heine and I swear I will do it."

"I appreciate your offer, however I dom't think there is anything you can do. It must run its course and then-"

"How long have you been ill?"

"All my life. There is always some discomfort. It rarely gets to this level, but lasts several days when it does. Lately it has been the worst pain I have ever had. Worse still is knowing I cannot be there for the younger ones. I have failed them."

"How do you make it better?"

"I don't. I come in here and wait." Viktor frowned.

"You go through this alone?"

"Yes. There is no point in involving the others. There is nothing they can do to improve my condition. Now they will need to eat and-"Viktor shifted off of his legs, pulling Heine back in his arms, positioning himself behind the shorter teen, he allowed his head to rest on his chest. 

"I'm sorry, " Viktor said sympathetically. "Having a constant illness such as yours and so much responsibility must be difficult for you. To do so alone-It won't happen anymore, you have my word on that. I'll take care of you, all of you." Viktor vowed.  The prince removed his white gloves, his hands were warm as the touched Heine's.

"Can you guide my hands to where you feel the pain?"

"Viktor-"

"I ask that you trust me, I would never hurt you."Heine sighed, hesitating a moment before taking his friend's hands and moving them to the center of his stomach.

"There." He announced. "Just what is it you're planning to do?"

"Lie back and relax. If you don't feel comfortable with this, I'll stop."Viktor slipped his hands under Heine's shirt.