Prologue

September 10, 1945.

I knew this would happen sooner or later. It was only a matter of time before they discovered my baby, my pequeño.

I smile as I reminisce my time with Zane only six months ago. He hated it when I spoke my birth tongue. I almost laugh.

Four consecutive knocks– more like bangs– on the door bring me out of my daze and back to the present much to my displeasure.“Twenty minutes!”

They were not wrong. I did have twenty minutes left to live.
I place my hands on my belly, smiling softly at the thought of my baby. He or she would be born in a month. The smile on my face thinned into a straight line.

With my eyes brimming with tears, I sign off the letter.

A few tears run down my cheeks. I don't bother wiping them away. I pad across the room quietly. Not daring to make a sound. I was all too aware of the consequences. Opening the door as silently as I can, I move down the hallway and stop at a door on my right. Hoping that it is the right one, I try the handle and it opens.

My eyes dart to a silhouette of a man sitting at a desk on the far right of the room. He doesn't turn to acknowledge me. I go closer to him and he turns around. His eyes widen in realization when he sees the letter I'm holding. He stands up, his eyes full of understanding. He remains silent when I stretch my arm, handing him the letter.

We don't say anything. Because nothing needs to be said.
I exit the room and walk briskly back to mine. They'd be here any minute.

Taking in one last look at my room, I walk to the door as if I had not gone anywhere. If I was going to die I would die with whatever dignity I had left.

The door opened violently and I had to step back quickly to avoid being smashed by the door. Bloody hypocrites!

I exit the room, taking one more glance at the room which I had lived in my whole life.

I descend the staircases, with a guard on either side of me gripping my arm tightly, knowing I wouldn't be returning anytime soon.

Or anytime at all.

~~~~~~~~~
Hey guys so this is it. Stay tuned for the next chapter and don't forget to vote!

Don't forget to leave a comment. Tell me what you think!

~ B.