Evans Note

A few days after, I willingly went for once. No faking being sick or taking forever to get ready. I got dressed and put on my jacket, yelling for Evan to hurry so we could get to school. Mom went to work early so we had cereal before we left. 

When we got to school, I parked in the same spot as before, hoping that Connor would be parked next to me again, but no luck. I could not spot his or Zoe's cars anywhere in the parking lot, and assumed that one was sick so the other stayed home too. They must had been really sick, they weren't there for the rest of the week.

The day was normal until about fifth period, when the intercom turned on. 

"Will Mark Evan Hansen report to the principal's office? I repeat, will Mark Hansen please report to the principal's office? Thank you," The class started whispering to one another. 

"He's a goody-two-shoes, why would he go to the office?"

"Maybe he got an atomic wedgie and has to go home," I slammed my hands on my desk, standing and glaring in the general direction of the students who were gossiping about my brother.

"Shut up about my brother. He doesn't need nor deserve your yammering. Pick on people who deserve it for a change," I announced, walking to the front and towards the door.

"Excuse me, miss Hansen, class is not over," I shot the teacher a glare, and he glared right back. 

"My brother is in the principal's office, and hell knows he did nothing wrong, so I am going to make sure he did not get hurt," I shut the door behind me, making my way to the front office.

-

Mrs. Kiczek, the secretary, glanced up to me as I walked through the door. She knew me, since I had a record for telling people off when they were talking shit, and getting sent to the office for it.

"What is it this time, Hansen?" she asked in a bored tone.

"I don't now, you tell me. Why is my brother in the principal's office, Kiczek?"

"You've not gotten in trouble yet? Impressive. Connor Murphy's parents called him in there for... A personal issue,"

"Oh god, Connor must have told them about that letter and are here to put a restraining order on Evan," I thought, but stayed relaxed outwardly.

"I did walk out on my class just now after telling off people for gossiping about my brother, so I'm not safe yet," Kiczek rolled her eyes. "Anyway, I watch over my brother like a hawk, so I'm going in there whether they want me or not. If you want to give me detention for it, so be it,"

"honestly, I couldn't care less. Go ahead,"

-

Slowly opening the door in case I interrupted something, I saw a man, a woman, and my brother. Evan had a slip of paper in his hands and was staring down at it, his hands shaking.

"This is from Connor. He wanted you to have this," The female, who I assumed was Connor's mom, looked at Evan with sad eyes but a small smile on her face. 

We both knew what the paper was without him even having to open it. It was Evans letter to himself that Connor had taken the day before. "Connor never mentioned you, but we saw "Dear Evan Hansen"," She said softly, looking down at the note in my brothers hands. 

"We didn't know you two were friends," I assumed the man was Connors dad. "We didn't think Connor had any friends," I was not sure what he meant by that, but it made my blood boil slightly at the tone he used. It was like he didn't believe in his son. I softly knocked on the door, letting myself in with a shy, nervous smile on my face. 

"Sorry for interrupting but I wanted to know why my brother, Evan, was called into the office," Connors father looked angry, while his mother did not seem to mind. She smiled at me, welcoming me.

"It's really no problem. Say, did you know that my son Connor and your brother were friends?" I gave a dry chuckle, one that meant "What the fuck is this lady on about, Evan?" and shook my head no.

"No, I don't think that ever came up," I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, and Connors mother gasped, running up to me and holding my arm gingerly in her hands, as if I would break. It was similar to how her son had held that same arm when he wrote his name, the name she was staring at with tears in her eyes, on my arm. 

"Oh, you were friends with my boy too! Larry, he does have friends! Thank goodness," I decided it was best to keep my mouth shut and not correct her that no, we were not really friends. We got along, sure, but it was for maybe ten minutes on the first day of school. So what were we? Acquaintances. Close acquaintances.

My eyes wandered to Connors dad, who was staring at the note in Evans hand. As if on cue, he spoke up about it, 

"Go ahead and read it, Evan. He wrote it for you," He said, his voice sounding a bit bitter and bored. His wife glared at him, sitting in her seat again as the pair stared at my brother. 

"It was something he wrote before he...," She didn't finish, and she didn't have to. Although we weren't sure exactly what happened, we got the jist, and I was almost afraid to ask anyway.

Evan glanced at me as he fiddled with the paper, almost asking "save me", which I decided that I would have to.

"He wears contacts and forgot them today. I would say that one of us could read it to him, but it think it's just better for him to read it himself, since Connor wrote it to him specifically, you know?" I smiled slightly, trying to seem kind despite taking the conversation into my own hands when I really had nothing to do with it in the first place. 

"Yes, of course. You're right, if only he had his contacts," Connors mom said almost sadly. Her husband took a business card out of his pocked and grabbed one of the principals pens from the desk, scribbling some numbers on the back of the card and holding it out. He handed the card to me since I was closer. 

"Our home phone, and each of our hand helds. Give us a text or call, we would like to have your numbers... If you want to visit him in the hospital, you are free to. Text us and we will give you the information of the room,"

Once we were dismissed from the office, we silently agreed to go to the cafeteria instead. I gave him the card as he gave me the letter (Which made me understand why Connor freaked out. From the perspective of Zoe's brother, it was creepy). We swapped again, and kept what we were left with.