Connor Comes to School

Connor did not come back to school the next week, but finally did on the third week of school. The whole time he was gone people gossiped many things about him, and not many people got what actually happened right. It was not like I would correct them anyway. 

When Connor did come back, he parked in the same place as the first day of school, and I parked next to him. 

"You go on, Evan. I'm going to talk to Connor," Evan did not look like he wanted to leave me with Connor, but left when I shot him a glare that said "Don't you dare say anything like "But he's dangerous"", and he left wordlessly.

Connor did not look that good. Better than when he was released from the hospital, but still not good. He had heavy purple bags under his eyes, and he looked deathly pale and thin, his skin tightly hugging his prominent jaw and cheekbones. His eyes were dark and dull, and his knuckles were pink. His hair was also a complete mess, so I grabbed a brush I kept in the car before getting out and knocking on his window. 

"What?" He asked in a tired sounding tone. I was not sure if he was annoyed I was bothering him or he was just tired in general, though it could have been both. 

"Just wanted to see how you have been doing," He glared at me and ran a hand through his messy hair. 

"How the hell do you think?" I snorted, not taking his harsh tone to heart. I knew he had been through hell and back, so I should not take anything he said harshly personally. 

"Can I come in?" Connor rolled his eyes and unlocked the door, letting me in to the passenger seat. "Are you doing any better at least?" 

"Not really," I pouted, but motioned for him to come closer.

"Your hair is a mess, let me brush it," He glared at me. "Come on, fake it till you make it, you know?"

"I don't want to fake it,'

"Trust me, you'll want to once you hear how people are talking about you," He gave me a hard stare before leaning into me and letting me brush his hair out. I made sure to be gentle so that I would not pull, but there were a few particularly nasty tangles. 

He looked calm as I brushed, his eyes closed and no emotion on his face. His breathing was slow and calm, and he seemed to lean into me more and more the longer my hands were in his hair. A small smile made its way on my face as I brushed, and I pressed my hand softly on his chest when I was done. 

"Much better. You almost look as if nothing happened, if you maybe had some foundation,"He ran a hand over his face, groaning. 

"Yeah, I know, I look terrible,"

"It's alright. I couldn't expect anything more after what you've been through," Connor looked at me seriously, then looked down in his lap as he messed with his jacket. 

"Do you even know what I've been through?" The question hung in the suddenly very thick air. I swallowed harshly. 

"I... Can assume," I checked my phone to see the time, and glanced towards the school doors. It was almost time for first period. "We should get going. I hope people go easy on you, Connor. Please text me at lunch, alright?" I gave him pleading eyes as I opened the door, and he swallowed before nodding. I smiled, and started to walk towards the school.