Deku x Uraraka - soup

Uraraka was sicker than she had been in years. She had a sore throat, a runny nose, and a throbbing headache. Aizawa had taken one look at her when he walked into class that morning and told her to go back to the dorms and sleep, but even as she lay down in bed, her blinds drawn and her blanket pulled up to her chin, she couldn't sleep. 

She sniffled and turned over, wishing she had a smartphone like the rest of her classmates. If she only had more money, she could have something to pass the time on. After all, a flip phone is not ideal for anything, much less playing games or watching videos. 

Her stomach grumbled, and she groaned. She wasn't sure when the last time she ate was, but she knew that she was hungry. Dragging herself out of bed, she left the comfort of her dorm room and headed to the kitchen. The hallway was empty, but she could hear something rustling and clanging in the common area downstairs. She frowned as she walked down the stairs. Who would be at the dorms at this time of day? Everyone should be at school...

She rounded the corner into the kitchen and froze as she saw Deku fumbling through one of the recipe books, one hand stirring a spoon in a steaming pot, the other flipping through pages as he mumbled to himself. "Deku?"

He startled and almost dropped his spoon. "U-Uraraka! I-I thought you were asleep!"

"I was, but I was hungry and--" She paused. "What are you doing? Aren't you supposed to be in class?"

"W-Well, it's lunchtime and I had figured that you were sleeping and probably haven't eaten yet, so I thought I'd come and make you some soup since I heard that soup is good for sick people. I was looking through the cookbook and found a good noodle soup, but I lost my page, so now I'm kind of improvising while trying to find the original recipe. I'm not the greatest cook, but I thought it would be nice to make you something." He nervously scratched the back of his head. Then his eyes widened. "I'm so sorry! I didn't even ask you if you liked soup! I just made it because that's what my mom always made for me when I was sick and it made me feel better, but I didn't even think to ask you if you wanted any--"

"Deku," Uraraka interrupted, smiling. "It's okay. I like soup!"

She could visibly see the stress leave his body as his shoulders sagged in relief. "Oh, good. Well, it's almost done, if you want to hang around for the next few minutes?"

"Sounds good!" She sat down and sniffed the air. "It smells really good, Deku!"

"Does it?" He smiled and laughed nervously. "Hopefully, it tastes as good as it smells."

She rested her cheek on her hand as she watched him rush around the kitchen. It was so sweet of him to think of her, and even sweeter of him to do something like this for her. She felt her cheeks start to heat up as she watched him. His curly green hair shifted every time he moved, and she wondered how it would feel to run her hands through it. Was his hair as soft as she imagined it was? Uraraka realized what she was thinking and shot up, her back straight as a rod. She couldn't let herself think like that! He was a friend! She thought back to what Aoyama had said to her during finals, and her cheeks got even hotter. She didn't like him, right? He was just a really good friend... Who cooked for her when she was sick... And always pushed her to be her best... And was one of the strongest people she knew. 

Uraraka risked a glance back at him and saw him stretching out his arms. She saw his scars and was reminded of how he got them. He had risked his life countless times and still managed to get out of them with a smile on his face.

Sighing, she turned her gaze back to the table. She wished she could be like that. Able to smile at any problems that arose. Able to win any fight she was in. Able to save everyone every time, like he did.

Deku was amazing.

"Uraraka?"

She squeaked as she realized he was standing next to her with a bowl of soup. Right next to her. So close. 

Her face flushed red and she replied, "Yes!" with one of the highest-pitched voices she had ever heard. 

"Um, do you want to eat here or take it to your room?" Deku asked. "I still have another fifteen minutes before I have to leave, if you want the company!" 

His smile was so sweet and genuine that she couldn't not say yes. "Oh, um, yeah that would be nice!" She took the bowl from him and set it down in front of her, a small smile crossing her face. He sat down next to her as she ate her first spoonful of soup. It was delicious. Salty, but with just enough sweetness to balance it out. The noodles were cooked perfectly, with soft carrots and celery, along with some chunks of chicken thrown in too. "Mmm, Deku, this is so good!"

His face lit up. "You think so?"

"Absolutely!" Uraraka ate and ate, her entire body filling with warmth. "Thank you so mu--" She looked over and he was just smiling at her. She noticed that the spot in front of him was empty. "Wait, Deku, did you eat yet?"

"Hm? Oh, no, not yet."

"You should have some soup too!"

"Are you sure?" He glanced back at the pot on the stove. "I made enough for you to have leftovers if you wanted some, but I don't know if there will be enough for me to have some and leftovers."

She smiled and waved her hand. "Oh, I don't mind. This will keep me going for a while, and you need to eat too! After all, you have class soon, and you need to keep your energy up."

"Well, if you insist." He made a bowl of soup and they sat and ate together in silence. They both finished relatively quickly, and she helped him clean up the dishes, much to his dismay. He tried to convince her to leave it to him, but she saw that he only had a few minutes before he had to head back to the school or he'd be late, so she didn't let him. Together, they finished the dishes and he started back to the school.

"I should get going, if I don't want Present Mic to yell at me," he said, smiling. "I hope you better, Uraraka!"

She almost said goodbye, but something stopped her. She wanted to do something more. He had put so much effort into making something for her that just felt wrong not to say something more meaningful than "thanks, bye". 

Her feet started moving before her brain could catch up, and before she knew it, she'd thrown her arms around him, her head resting on his shoulder. "Thank you, Deku," she whispered.

He was a statue. Completely frozen, unmoving. She pulled away to see that his entire face was red and his eyes were wide as dinner plates. "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry!" she shrieked jumping away. "I don't know why I did that! I just--"

Deku's eyes snapped to her and his whole body started vibrating as he waved his arms furiously. "I-It's okay!" he cried. "I liked it-I MEAN--" 

She didn't think his eyes could get any bigger, but she was wrong. 

"Igottagotoclassbye!" He ran out of the dorms faster than she could see, the wind rushing behind him and tossing Uraraka's hair up. 

She stood there for a moment, her mouth agape before curving into a wide smile. She pulled her hands into her chest tightly, as though it would calm the wild beating of her heart. He liked it.

____

A/N: Requests are open! Just comment below!