Chapter 2

"Try again, fail again. Fail better." —Samuel Beckett

•••

Chapter 2 - Training
Stella's POV

It has been a whole week since my last interview. Still I haven't managed to find a single job. I have looked everywhere but no store, bakery, restaurant or bar is willing to hire a 26 years old female with no experience whatsoever. Not even a night club is willing to hire me to stand at the door. As if it's the end of the world that I'm born with a vagina instead of a penis.

"How's it going, grinder?" Becca said coming out of the kitchen and handing me a hot cup of tea.

"Not good" I said folding the last newspaper I had and throwing it back on the table.
"Maybe I should completely give up on this bodyguard job and do some type of qualification for fashion or cooking instead. Who knows I might get a job then"

"No no young lady you are not doing that. You did not work your ass off, serve this country and live like shit for so many years for no one to hire you later on just because you're a lady. You are going to find a good job and you going to get hired. Just don't give up"

"Me not giving up won't pay rent next month" I groaned.

"I have got a gold necklace I never wear. We can sell that & I can see if mom and dad can help furthermore. They know how it's been looking and I'm sure they won't mind. You know how much respect my dad has for the military"

"Becca no. I won't let you do that. You and your family have already done so much for me. You don't deserve this"

"You neither Stella. You keep forgetting that"

*Ring Ring*
My phone went off.

"Hello" I picked up not recognizing the number.

"Hey! Is this Stella Smith?" The voice spoke on the other line.

"Yes. Who am I talking to?"

"Hi! It's John, John Rain. The guy you met at Lucas office"

"Oh John! Hey! What can I do for you?"

"I'm calling to inform you that you got through to the next part of the interview. Congratulations!" He said attempting to sound excited.

"What?! I mean wow thank you but how?"

"It did require some convincing but what matters is that you got through at the end"

Holy shit..

"Well thank you so much. What happens now?"

"So you and 5 other interviewees are gonna start training for a few weeks, about 5-6. After that we will decide on two people who will stay with us and officially get the job. Everyone will get payed for the hours of training of course" he added and I tried my best to refrain from jumping around like a little kid.

"Alright sounds good. When do we start?"

"Well.. that's the catch. First training is today. Will you be able to make it during such a short notice?"

"Yeah.. that's fine" I replied not worrying about that. I know my skills and I know that I can do whatever is required. I did mentally slap myself for the two double chocolate muffins I had yesterday though.

"Great! I will send you the address and time. I'll see you then!"

"See you soon, John"

"Bye Stella" he said and I couldn't wait until I made sure we hung up before I yelled and jumped around the house running to Becca and hugging her.