Chapter 5

"To conquer frustration, one must remain intensely focused on the outcome, not the obstacles."  - T.F. Hodge

•••

Chapter 5 - That night
Stella's POV

"You have got to be kidding.." Becca said as soon as I opened the door.

"Hi Becca" Chris spoke making me honestly impressed that she seemed to remember him.

"Chris. Holy shit. I haven't seen you since.. last summer" She said very excited before she made her way over to him and they wrapped each other in a hug.

Wait what..last summer..? I haven't seen him in years..?

"Surprise" he said making her chuckle before they let go of each other and just stared into each other's eyes.

"This is your friend?" Becca said turning around to look at me and a grin spread on my face knowing I probably did the right decision inviting him over.
I mean don't get me wrong, I'm probably going to regret this once I'm third wheeling, well even more, and that was exactly what I did.
They spent hours talking, they always tried to get me involved in conversations but it was clear that they needed their separate talks too so I did spend a bit of time on my phone and constantly offered to be the one that brings out the food, drinks etc.
Becca seemed very happy, so all the work is worth it.
She works a lot & deserves some time off too.

Speaking of work, not even 2 hours later, Chris had to head out & Becca started getting ready for her shift as soon as he left.
We decided to meet again on Friday but with Hugo and his fiance for dinner on Friday.

I walked into Becca's room as she was doing her makeup.
"Beccs?"

"What's up?" She replied smiling.

"So.. you & Chris huh?" I couldn't help but tease her.

"What do you mean?"
I could see right through her bullshit.

"I don't know. You tell me. I haven't seen him in years, but you.." I said attempting to hold my laughter in at her face that just turned tomato red from blushing.

"Uhm.. well" she cleared her throat as she quickly put the rest of her stuff in her bag and looked at me.
"It was a one night thing.. Uhm.. and yeah" she spoke making my jaw drop before she quickly left the room.

"Oh my god! You can't leave it at that? How did y'all get there. I didn't even think you'd even recognize him" I said impressed.

"Oh trust me I would" she said making me chuckle, while pretty much gasping.

"I don't know if I want to hear more but at the same time, I need to hear more"

"Look I promise to tell you everything tonight after my shift, probably over a glass of wine. I'm just really late right now"

"I got Eduardo's car today since he is going on vacation for a few days. I can give you a ride and then go grab that wine for you" I said as she shook her head laughing before we made our way to the door.
"You got everything?" I asked.

"Yeah let's go"

And we did. I dropped her off at the restaurant she works at before making my way to the store near us. I purchased a bottle of red wine for her, and a huge cookies & cream ice cream for me.

Today was quite eventful, but what sucked was that I wasn't thinking about the Chris part. It was the Lucas part stuck in my head. I don't know why, or how. However I knew that I couldn't get him off my mind.
I walked up to the cashier and stood in line, looking at the magazines beside the checkout. All with highlighted letters about celebrities, all the way from the Kardashiens to Elton John & Johnny Depp and.. Bruno.
Not Bruno Mars, but Lucas Bruno.

'New York top 35 billionaires under 35' the magazine read with him posing on the cover.
He's a freaking billionaire.
Of course he is.

I payed for my groceries before getting in the car & making my way home. I passed the hours scrolling on my phone before heading out to pick up Becca from her shift and then we put on a movie.
It was quite a boring one to be honest cause 40 minutes in, we both were on our phones.
I wish I wasn't however, cause a part of me couldn't stop thinking about him.
Quite incomprehensible, I know. After all what was there to think about? It's not like we had a sweet moment or anything, yet I couldn't get him out of my mind.
So I did the dumbest thing one can do, I looked him up.

L u c a s B r u n o

..Images

Damn he looked good irl & in photos.
Man I had to snap out of it soon...

"Are you looking up your extremely hot boss?" Becca said from beside me making me panic for some reason.

"No!.. well.. yes" I said knowing I can't lie my way out of this.

"Girl I don't blame you. Scroll down though, there! My favorite paparazzi pic of him" she said stopping at a shirtless picture of him at a beach.

"Well that isn't helping" I whispered letting out a deep breath. He was handsome there was no denying that.

"Oo.. helping what?" Becca asked taking the remote controller & lowering the TV volume.

"Oh it's nothing. Just me exaggerating" I said still looking at that damn picture.

"Girl you are tomato red from blushing so hard. You got it bad. Tell me what did Mr handsome do to you?"

"It's really nothing. He's just quite an interesting character.. and him being so easy on the eye doesn't help getting him out of my mind"

"What's up with this hot boss of your's anyway? I have heard you complain about him, Chris doesn't seem like his biggest fan either but what has he actually done?"

"What hasn't he done. He made me run 10 laps unfairly, didn't even want to give me the job cause I'm a woman, twisted my arm and then had the audacity to tell me that no one was gonna go easy on me.. can you believe his bullshit?! How am I supposed to work for this dude as a bodyguard if I'm willing to kill him with my own hands"

"Girl that's romantic frustration"

"Becca you're crazy"

"Uh uh.. you are just being blind right now. Why do you care so much about him? You love when someone gives you a challenge. You have never been one to complain when people are assholes, you just prove them wrong. Yet you are willing to give him so much power over you without realizing it"

"Becca he is my boss"

"Your boss who is texting you at midnight, huh?" She said making me look at my phone that had just received a notification.

'11am, the gym tomorrow. If you are late I'll make sure you regret it' I read the message out loud.

"He's only your boss my ass" Becca said making me sigh.

"I mean that was kinda professional. It was just a reminder" I said trying to justify it, not just to her but to me too.

"Stella, do you really think he reminds everyone else at midnight by messaging them a message like that?"

"Beccs I don't freaking know! I'm done with men & just people in general. Everyone is so confusing & nothing can happen. He is my boss. This won't end good if anything actually happens"

"Sure. Just try to tolerate him at least. If you actually get the job, you have to make sure that you don't kill him yourself"

This is going to be harder than I thought.. and not for the reasons I ever imagined.

To be continued...