Chapter 3

"People may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do" - Lewis Cass

•••

Chapter 3 - Ready Smith?
Stella's POV

"A bodyguard is as strong as their weakest number. So we are going to test all your numbers and improve everyone as much as possible. Six weeks from today, 2 of you will get picked to continue. We are going to be testing your situational awareness, general knowledge, dependability, communication skill as a team player, confidence and common sense. I don't care how many years some of you have served in the military, the second someone lacks something and isn't willing to cooperate, they are out. Am I being clear?" Lucas spoke after we all finished warming up.

"Yes sir" everyone replied and man I could not fucking wait until those drills begun so I could punch him in the face. There was no doubt in my mind that I could take him down. He looked pretty fit and well trained but with right timing and decisions, everything is possible. He didn't look like he weighed that much either so this was most likely going to work smoothly.

"Let's start with some simple drills. 3 rounds, first to bring their opponent down twice gets to run half the laps. Rules are simple, I want everyone alive by the end of training. Good luck" Lucas spoke making me smirk. Who knew this boy could party..? Surely not me.

"Ready Smith?" Lucas asked, turning around to me as everyone spread out in the gym.

"Ready when you are" I replied rolling my wrists.

"Let's see why I shouldn't fire John for bringing you hear"

Game on, jerk.

We both spun around in a circle not removing our eyes from each other. I tried focusing on both his movements and mine, trying to locate any weakness he has but without losing focus and attention from my form, but so far I got nothing. His form was pretty much perfect. His legs were placed shoulder width apart, his dominant foot leaning to the front while the other one was leaning back. He had an equal amount of weight on each foot giving him both an attacking and defending stance.
He knew what he was doing, which just made me question why the hell he needs to hire a bodyguard?

He clearly wants someone phenomenal at their job and not just a bodyguard for looks. Otherwise he wouldn't go through the trouble of training a group for weeks, but why?
I have had some short term clients before him and all the clients I worked for had some obvious reasons. I could not understand why the hell this 30 years old, very fit millionaire wanted a protection team, especially so suddenly.

I clearly got too carried away in my thoughts though because before I even knew it I was being tackled down onto the ground by him. I quickly placed a hand around his neck and tried standing up again before he could fully knock me down but he managed to rapidly spin around forcing me to let go. He pinned me down and quietly whispered "1-0" into my ear.

Shit.. Focus Stella.

He stretched out his arm for me to grab and helped me onto my feet again.

"6 years in the army taught you that..?" he asked sarcastically, clearly knowing that he managed to get on my nerves too.

I took a deep breath before looking him up and down quickly. His left leg was shaking a bit...
I looked into his eyes again and I'm pretty sure he knew I was up to something when a smirk spread on my face.

"Bring it on, Luc" I said and the tiny smile that appeared on his face when he took me down disappeared.

We spun around in circles again waiting for the other one to make the first move. If I wanted to prove myself then he had to take that step, but he clearly knew that too since he wasn't pulling any moves. He tried faking a run towards me but he wasn't so slick this time and I managed to get a hold of his arm and quickly pulled him towards me. I slid my leg behind his left knee and kicked him slightly making him unintentionally bend his leg. He managed to catch himself before falling completely and tried kicking me away but I got a hold of his leg and twisted it making him turn around too. I gave him a kick in the back as he fell down to his knees and I practically ran to get a hold of his neck. I wrapped my arm around it and kept my elbow under his chin as he struggled and tried to remove my arm. I promptly placed my other hand on his head and pulled it back while squeezing my bicep and forearm on either side of his neck.