Part 1

My steps were loud as I quickly made my way to the dean's office. I was nervous, to say the least. I could hear the faint sound of my heartbeat in my ears. The university called and had set up a meeting with me a couple of weeks ago when I first moved to Sacramento. I was overjoyed when I got the call that they had accepted my transfer and wanted me to come in to get everything set up. I was surprised they accepted me so fast since it's the second semester.

I walked into the small room and felt a little anxious. The room was dull and reminded me of a police interrogation room just with carpet and nicer furniture. Mrs.Beer, the dean, was sitting behind her wooden desk. She held a large stack of papers in her hands. I had almost offered to help. Her face was extremely serious. She had tight frown lines on her forehead. She looked stressed.

I stood awkwardly in the doorway, leaning against the frame. Do I just walk-in or do I wait? I clear my throat to try and get her attention. The brown-haired lady doesn't even lookup. "Please, sit." Mrs. Beer finally looks up from her work and points at the black chairs in front of her desk. I briskly walk to the open seat and sit down.

"Well, you must be," She looks down at her papers. " Ms. Jauregui." I nod and give her a small smile so I'd come off friendly. My voice had seemed to be lost in my throat. I cleared it once again.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you." I put out my hand to shake.

"You too," I retract my hand after she lightly shakes it.

"Everything is set. You start class on Monday." I almost let out a squeal as I was filled with excitement. I knew that I wanted to go to this university since my freshman year of high school. However, I ended up staying back in my hometown. My mother had talked me into staying. Plus, I wasn't ready to leave my home in Florida. It was a crazy place to live but that meant I always had good stories to tell.

"Oh actually, we have something to discuss." Mrs. Beer licks her finger and then turns one of the papers over. I mentally cringe as I see how wet the corner became. I didn't think people still did that.

"As you know, you came at a very late time. It seems it would have benefitted you more if you had transferred next year. However, since that isn't the case we had to try and find space for you in the dorms. Which proved to be impossible. All the rooms are filled at the moment."

My heart began to race with anxiety. Was she going to tell me I needed to find my own place to stay? I had specifically told them that I could only live on campus. As much as I would love to live in my own apartment, I couldn't pay the rent. California is super expensive, especially for a college student.

"I have pulled some string just for you. There's a studio apartment on campus. We made the payment a part of your tuition fee."

I sigh in relief. "That's great! Thank you so-

"However, you have a roommate. She is one of our top students here. I'm sure she can help you with work if you got stuck. Her name is Camila Cabello." She gives me the smallest smile I have ever seen.

The only way she could help me is if she is a liberal art major. Maybe she could help me decide if that's the way I want to go.

"We have contacted a student to show you around. Our meeting is over please feel free to come back if you have any questions." I get up from my seat and mutter out a quick goodbye. I step into the lobby of the office and look around for my belongings.

I found the seat where I had left my things. I come to a halt as I notice a girl in my seat. She had my bags sitting in her lap. Was she trying to steal my things? I slowly approach her.

"Um, excuse me?"

The brunette snaps her head to me. A bright and friendly smile forms on her face."Are you the new girl? " Her dark brown eyes shined with kindness. She places my bags down and stands up. I slowly nod and bring my bags to my side.