Small changes, Big effects

( RARE A/N some parts of this were written in a fever-like state so, if it doesn't sound like previous chapters I'm sorry and I'll edit it as soon as the series is over, but I would like to say thank you for your support this last week cause it's been difficult at times but you have all been really understanding so thank you <3 )

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Small Changes, Big effecrs

Neville didn't look that confident as I stood in front of him, unarmed with my hands clasped in front of me. No one else volunteered to pair with him as his spells were unpredictable sometimes.
"What if I hurt you?" He spoke trying to delay throwing the spell.
I crossed my arms over my chest," Do you want the statistics of that not happening?"
Neville sighed, "Probably not."
"So throw the spell." I smiled," Think of it as payback from all those times as kids."
Neville raised an eyebrow," This is supposed to make up for that?"
"Yes," I smirked, remembering the times fondly.
My brother's eyebrows knitted together," You levitated me into the pond."
I shrugged" Least it was cold water."
"Then put worms in my dinner." He continued.
Biting my smile, I shrugged," They are highly nutritious."
Neville didn't look convinced as he pointed his wand at me.

My brother had been improving, I could see, and hopefully so did the rest of this large tutorial group. Partly the improvement came from not using Dad's old wand, having a magical item that solely called to the magical being amplified their abilities to channel them. By using dads, the item called to dad, not Neville making magical use harder to control and perfect. 
Twirling my wand from my hair bobble, I stood side-on in a dueling stance not planning on using a spell at all.

"Expelliarmus!" He called, sloppily following the movement through.
With an encouraging smile, I nodded," again, keep your movements tighter Nev."

"Expelliarmus." He spoke a little louder.
His follow-through was tighter he just missed the sharpness of the action. In my hand, my own twitched as if it wasn't to fly from my grasp but there wasn't enough force behind it to pull it from my hand.
"That was better." I praised him," Next time keep everything flowing but sharp, so you gain power behind the action, not just the words."

Sitting on the steps, he put both arms on his knees and let his head fall between his knees. Around us, everyone else had perfected the spell – a few like Hermione had enough power to shoot someone across the room, others like Anthony had discovered his own style of spell work allowing for perfect casting each time.
I took a seat next to him, putting an arm around his shoulders shaking him a little to get him to look up.
"You got this, each little improvement adds up to create a vast improvement, just because you can't see how far you have come, doesn't mean you haven't started to make those developments." My encouraging words seemed fruitless.
He sighed," Look at them Cellie, they are O.W.L ready and I feel like a second year."
"Nev, for four years you used a wand that wasn't yours to live up to a legacy neither of us can match." I turned to look at him straight on," You just have to find your own feet."
Neville sniffed," I just want to make them proud, like how we are proud of them."
"And we have." Sighing, I nodded slowly," Now you have got to make yourself proud, then we can go back at Christmas and tell them about it."
Running a hand down his face, he nodded a newfound expression on his face that I haven't seen before.
"Before Christmas, I will perfect this spell." He spoke, setting himself a goal.
Smirking slighting, I held out my hand," I bet you, five scoops of Grandpa's ice cream on me that you will."
"If I don't"
I pushed his head slightly as I stood up," Not an option."

Practice in the room of requirement only took up the time between the end of class and dinner on a Friday because third-years had astronomy at midnight and taking a nap before that class was a godsend in disguise.
Watching meteor showers and stars shimmering in the sky was the best part of my Wednesdays now, it was like taking a deep breath in the middle of the week to contemplate the rushing of time around me. Most of the time I understood that the universe held many secrets that both Wizards and Muggles had yet to understand, but do I believe that I will only have good fortune under the moon of Saturn in a summer solstice? No, no I do not.