His Puppet

(A little different.
Male x male, and not an x reader.)

He'd always had trouble sleeping. That night was no different. Jameson tossed and turned in his king-sized bed for hours, finally looking over at the clock with bleary eyes. Almost two in the morning. He groaned inaudibly, as usual, and sat up, scratching his bare chest in thought. Should he simply get up and make a cup of coffee like it was morning?

This would have been the third time that week that he could not fall to sleep, and it was barely a Wednesday! Jameson yawned wide as he slid out of bed, tugging gently at his moustache as he walked down the stairs into his kitchen. It was spotless, like everything else in his home. Like he was, really. Spotless. Clean as a whistle, without a blemish to his name. Innocent till the very end.

The kitchen's quiet atmosphere was almost soothing; if it were raining it would have been even better. Jameson would have surely fallen asleep if it were.

The strong smell of coffee wafted into the air within minutes, and JJ inhaled deeply. Coffee was a vice, perhaps the only one he truly had. Rubbing his neck in thought, he--

--!! What in the blue blazes...?

There was a string around his neck. Carefully, he unwrapped the thing from his throat and inspected it. Nothing out of the ordinary, except for it's sudden appearance, of course. Jameson frowned a touch, throwing the string away without a second thought.

Pouring his coffee he mulled over the events of the day; nothing special, but he hoped that doing so would wake him up a bit.

No such luck; even the coffee wasn't helping. Jameson sighed heavily and poured the remainder of his precious dirty bean water down the drain; he would try to sleep again. Once more, before truly giving up. The poor man was exhausted, and he trudged his way back up the stairs to his bedroom in silence, yawning wide and shaking his head.

Perhaps the coffee had the opposite effect on him that night, for JJ soon drifted off once he fell into bed again.

~☆~

So precious.

At first he did not stir. He was curled up in the blankets tightly, eyes squeezed shut in his sleep. Was he having some sort of nightmare? It was a possibility.

...... ke up... wake up, precious...

A voice. Somehow familiar and not, all at the same time, strangely. Jameson stirred at long last, opening his eyes slowly and peering into the darkness of his room. His first thought was of simply wanting to go back to sleep. But he secondary thought was much more troubling.

I am not alone in here.

Something was watching him, he was certain of it. Sitting upright, JJ looked carefully at all the shadows being cast in his room; it was very nearly pitch black. Was there something there? Something that was not present when he went to bed for the final time?

Or someone?

In his sleepy daze, he did not notice. It wasn't even felt, not until it was far too late.

The string around his neck tightened, choking him in surprise and making him cough. His hands scrabbled to his neck trying to pull the offending thing off of him, but no such luck. At the rate it tightened, it would soon cut into his skin.