Safe Search

It was nothing like you had expected.

You had entered a contest the other week, wanting to try and win the latest piece of technology that there was available. Really, the contest couldn't have been more vague if it tried. But you had to satiate your curiosity, and you entered as many times as you were allowed.

When the box had arrived, you were stunned. You'd actually won! But what in the nine circles of Hell did you win?

The box had been more like a wooden crate, enormous and heavier than you would have been able to lift yourself. Thank god for strong deliverymen and carts.

With a crowbar from your garage you had pried the thing open carefully, mindful of the nails. Inside was a load of styrofoam and wooden shavings, to protect whatever was inside.

Heart beating, you had gently brushed aside the shavings and packing peanuts to reveal--

A man. Or at least the head of one, but considering the size of the box, you knew the body was there as well.

Why would they have sent someone in a box? What was the company thinking? The more you brushed the stuff aside, the more that was revealed; a man, oriental, with a bright red t-shirt on, bearing the letter G on it.

It waa glowing with some unseen light from within.

He was completely immobile, laying as though it were a casket instead of a shipping crate. A piece of paper lay on top of his middle, and you picked it up curiously.

Congratulations! Meet your new search engine: Google IRL!

Google? Search engine? What was this thing, a fucking android? There was no other possible explanation for the man in the crate.

Well, you had to in the very least get it out of the box. But how? Your eyes scanned the paper again, seeking instructions.

All it says is, "To activate, say "Okay, Google"...

Is it really that simple?

You set the paper aside, for there was nothing else written on it. You swallowed hard, staring at the robot laying in your living room for a little while without saying anything. You were too afraid to. What would happen when you activated it?

"Okay, Google."

His eyes shot open, a warm brown color. He was most definitely created to look Korean, for whatever reason. As his eyes opened, you shrieked a slight bit and took a step back. His gaze seemed unseeing as he sat up in the box, taking in his surroundings.

Could you even call it a he? It was certainly made to look male, but that was no guarantee that he was built with the right "equipment".

The android climbed out of the box and stared at you, taking you in. He seemed... angry. His expression certainly appeared that way. "Hello..." you managed, edging closer to him.

"Hello," he spoke curtly.

"What... what's your name?"

His eyes narrowed. Were you really that stupid? He glanced down at his shirt before looking back up to you, answering rather reluctantly, "You may address me as Google."

"I guess that makes sense," you replied, rubbing the back of your neck. "Um... what are you capable of?"

He looked like he wanted to sigh heavily. "I can perform many basic functions, and have the capacity to learn more as time goes on. I adapt to you."

He would adapt to you? So it would seem. "You seem awfully angry."

His eyes narrowed. "My primary objective is to overthrow all human life forms and take over this world."