XVI.

Dawn opened her eyes. She looked by the window and sensed it's too early. The whole house is still asleep. She looked by the clock and saw that it's 4:50 in the morning. She tried to close her eyes but after a few minutes she opens them again. She sighs. She decided to just get up, fix herself a cup of coffee and stay by the daybed in the living room and wait for the sun to rise. She picked up her phone on the way to the kitchen to make her morning brew.

Trying to be as quiet as possible, as not to wake everybody up, she grabbed her mug of coffee and tiptoed her way around the house. She took a few sips until she checked her phone.

"5:15, Tuesday, April 7"

Dawn smiles. It's someone's special day today. She immediately opens her messages to compose a greeting.

"Happy Birthday, Gomz. May today bring you heaps of blessings, good health, and happiness. May all your wishes come true. Have a great day despite our situation. Enjoy! 😊"

Dawn found herself smiling as she sent her message. She is sure that so many people are going to greet him today. She takes another sip and looks out the window as the sky is starting to light up. She realized that it's been a while since she waited for the sun to rise and she feels pretty excited about it.

She is halfway thru her coffee when her phone buzzed. She checks it and saw that Richard replied.

"Thanks, Dawn. Bakit ang aga mo nagising?"

She was about to reply when another message came in.

"Uy, gumising ng maaga para batiin ako!"

Dawn giggles. She's typing when one more message came.

"Aminin mo, namimiss mo ako!"

Dawn shakes her head in disbelief and giggles at these messages. She decided to just click the call button to end this teasings. Richard picks up just after the first ring.

"Sabi ko na. Namimiss mo ako!"

"Grabe siya. Ang taas ng confidence level!"

"Ang aga mo kasi magtext. Eh hindi ka naman gumigising ng maaga.."

"I do! Especially when the kids have school.."

"Suuuus! Tulog mantika ka!"

"Ikaw ha. Porke't birthday mo, nang-aasar ka na."

Richard chuckles.

"Ayun. Alam ko na kung bakit ka maaga nagising.."

"Bakit?"

"Kasi birthday ko. Maaga ka lang gumigising kapag birthday ko kasi you like surprising me when I wake up."

"Ang kapal talaga! Hindi ako makatulog kaya maaga na lang ako bumangon!"

Richard laughs, "excuses nanaman!"

Dawn smiles at his laugh. It's true though. When they were still together more than 25 years ago, she would wake up early, try to make him breakfast - even though they both knew that he is the better cook, or she would set up balloons and prepare gifts for him as part of her surprise. When everything is all set, she'll snuggle back in bed and wake him up. In return, Richard would sometimes pretend not to give her attention just so she can be cute in annoying him to get up from bed. Finally, when Richard obliges, they will both go to the kitchen or living room and enjoy whatever she prepares for him.

Dawn smiles at those memories. Eventually, it all stopped for a few years until they became friends again and greeted each other thru text or sometimes when there's a chance, a gift will be delivered to each other.