Nightmares

3rd persons pov

It wasn't unusual for Keith to have nightmares, Shiro knew that all too well. It also wasn't unusual for Keith to slip into headspace after having them.

After having one he was usually more sensitive then normal and would start to cry over the  simplest things. He liked to be held most of the time but sometimes he didn't. Shiro had to be careful of where and when he did and didn't touch Keith.

Some days he didn't immediately slip into headspace though, on those days he needed help. But on other days he woke up in headspace, tonight was one of those nights.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shiro had just finished cleaning up downstairs when he heard some quiet whines coming from the baby monitor. He frowned slightly but didn't go to check on Keith just yet, it was possible the little boy was just having trouble falling asleep. If that was the case and Shiro went to check on him, they'd both be awake for the next few hours.

He sat down on the couch and turned on the Tv, waiting to see if he could hear anything more from Keith's room if there was a problem.

It was a while before Shiro heard anything else. At first it was just quiet whines, the whines turned into sniffles, and the sniffles turned into cries. Something was wrong.

Shiro turned off the Tv and quickly made his way upstairs, going quickly to Keith room. By the time he reached the room Keith's cries had turned into sobs.

Shiro opened the door slowly, making his way over to Keith's bed where the little boy was already sitting up and reaching for him. Shiro smiled slightly as he sat on the side of Keith's bed.

"Hey sunshine, what's got you so worked up?" Shiro asked softly, reaching slowly for the boy's hand. Keith let him, sniffling and rubbing his eyes with his free hand. He reached for Shiro more as he cried.

Shiro nodded and stood up, grabbing small boy gently and setting him on his hip with a hand under his bottom. He now realized the boy had also had an accident. Accident or not, Shiro would've still held the boy the same. "Is this ok, Angel?" He questioned, wanting to make sure Keith was ok with the way Shiro held him.

Keith nodded and buried his face in Shiro's shoulder, crying softly. Shiro frowned and kissed the boys head, rubbing his back gently. "You wanna get changed into something comfy and dry?" He asked, going to turn on the light.

Keith sniffled and nodded, squirming now in his wet shorts. Shiro set him down on top on the dresser, opening his closet and looking around. He held up a pull up and a diaper in front of Keith. "Which one honey?" Keith pointed to the pull up and rubbed his eyes.

Shiro nodded and handed it to the boy, figuring he would probably want to do it himself. Shiro turned back around and looked around the little side of the closet while he waited for the boy. "What do you wanna wear peaches?" He asked, turning around after the rustling stopped.

Keith reached for him, his cries now only a few sniffles and hiccups. Shiro picked him up and patted his back softly as he waited for Keith to point. Keith rested his head on Shiro's shoulder before pointing to his giraffe kigurumi. Shiro smiled and grabbed it, setting the boy down and helped him into it before buttoning it up.

Keith smiled slightly as he looked at himself in the mirror and made a few silly faces. Shiro chuckled and picked him up once more, kissing his nose softly. He walked over to his bed, grabbing Keith's lion stuffie and his blanket. He handed Keith the stuffie and wrapped the blanket around his shoulders. He looked down at the wet sheets and kissed Keith's forehead gently. They could always clean it up later.

"You hungry Sunshine?" He asked, looking over at the boy in his arms. Keith sniffled and nodded. Shiro smiled slightly and grabbed one of his pacifiers before leaving Keith's room and closing the door.

"Is it ok if dada changes into something more cozy first?" He asked as he rubbed the boy's back again. Keith nodded and made a few small noises in response. Shiro made his way to his room, setting Keith down on his bed and quickly changing into a hoodie and shorts. He smiled and he heard Keith babbling and mumbling to his lion stuffie.

Shiro smiled and sat next to him. Keith giggled a bit and pulled his hood up. "'M a giraffe dada.." He mumbled as he looked up at him with innocent purple eyes.

Shiro smiled and nodded. "Yeah! You're a cute giraffe!" Keith smiled slightly and reached for Shiro to pick him back up. He picked him up and held him on his hip once more.

"Let's get my precious boy something to fill his tummy." Shiro cooed, placing soft kisses all over Keith's face. Keith squealed softly and blushed, hiding in Shiro's shoulder. Shiro chuckled and carried the boy downstairs into the kitchen.

Keith patted Shiro's shoulder excitedly and reached for the fridge. Shiro walked him over and opened it, letting him look around and decide what he wanted. Keith reached for the slices of strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon that was in a container. Shiro took it and set it on the counter. Keith then reached for the milk. Shiro grabbed it for him and set it next to the fruit. "Cereal too p'ease.." he mumbled around his thumb that had made its way into his mouth.  Shiro nodded and grabbed the Cheerios, setting them next to everything else.

"Do you want a bowl of cereal? Or do you want the cereal in a bowl and milk in a sippy cup?" Shiro asked, looking over at the boy on his hip.

"Milky in baba..an' cereal in bowl.." Shiro nodded and did as Keith asked, putting the cereal in a snack cup and the fruit slices in a plastic bowl with space designs and stars on it. He then poured the milk into a bottle and handed it to Keith. Keith quickly took his thumb out of his mouth and drank the milk excitedly.

Shiro smiled and grabbed the cereal and fruit, walking over to the couch and sitting with Keith in his lap. Keith smiled slightly and kicked his feet as Shiro wrapped his arms around the small boys belly. Keith ate his fruit excitedly and bounced in Shiro's lap. Shiro kisses the top of his head and put on some cartoons for Keith to watch.

Shiro almost started to pass out until he heard Keith coughing and whining. Shiro looked down at the boy who's eyes were quickly filling up with tears. Shiro assumed he had choked on the milk after drinking it a bit too fast. It had probably just scared him more than it hurt him. "Hey sunshine...it's okay...dada's right here..it's okay.." he mumbled softly as he turned him to sit across his lap so he could pat his back. Keith sniffled and turned to hide his face in Shiro's chest.

They remained like that for a while until Shiro noticed Keith looking up at him with those beautiful purple eyes. Shiro smiled down at him, kissing his forehead softly. "My pretty little sunshine." Keith giggled a bit and nodded.

"Dada's pretty little sunshine.." Keith repeated as he closed his eyes.