chapter eighteen

Lisa ignored me – all week. And, I have done the same thing. Elijah called me to check on her wedding dress this Friday and Lisa didn't came out of her room on purpose. We are acting like children but this is for our own good. I was too lenient with her because she used to be a close friend of mine.

From now on, we are strangers.

I can't be around people who support such an unholy belief. My mother warned me about her and the people with the same mindset. They think they are superior to all and special. The truth is, they are fooling themselves into believing of something absurd.

"You look stunning," my father smiles at me while I fix his tie knot.

"Thanks dad. You look good," I return his compliment.

He holds out his arm to me and I wrap my tiny arm around him. My father is one of the most respected man in the town. Being a priest and helping people in need at the same time takes a lot of pressure but he managed to pull it off. He is seen as a guardian angel by many and I am proud to be his daughter.

We walk to the avenue until my mother comes to stop us.

"There you are! The bride is coming. Hurry up!" she informs me before pushing my father and I to the altar.

I smile at her and put a quick kiss on her cheek. She is too excited for this wedding and she doesn't want me to mess up. "It's going to be just fine," I try to reassure and walk to aisle.

Jisoo wave at me, silently ordering me to take the bouquet of roses. It's pretty much impossible to run with heels but I manage to stand in line with the bridesmaids. We are ready to greet Elijah and I can see in the corne of my eyes that Jack is trying to keep his calm.

He's taking deep breaths while his best man, Jaden, is trying to reassure him.

"Oh my god, she's here!" Chaeyoung who is currently beside me whisper and lets out a small squeal of excitement. "I think I'm gonna cry."

I stand up and hold the bouquet. My father smiles at the sight of Elijah and put his hands behind his back. My mother cried in bliss when she told us that she will marry in my father's church.

Elijah is absolutely stunning in her white dress. Her lovely smile is contagious because everyone is looking at her with the endearing gaze. Walking with her dad, she doesn't look away from her fiancé as if they were the only one in the hall. Even if she doesn't have a good relationship with her parents, her dad wanted to be the one who will walk her to the aisle. I think that's beautiful and I'm so glad he is there for her.

When she stands next to the broom, my father scratches his throat. "Today is a special day. We are gathered here, surrounded by the beauty of creation and nurtured by the sights and sounds of nature to celebrate the wedding of Jack and Elijah," he starts before giving a warm smile to the couple. "You have come here from near and from far away to share in this commitment to offer your love and support, and to allow Jack and Elijah to start their married life together."

With teary eyes, I smile at the young couple. "You are agreeing to share strength, responsibilities, and love. It takes trust to know in your hearts that you want only the best for each other.  It takes dedication, to stay open to one another, to learn and grow eve' if it is difficult to do so. And it takes faith to go forward together without knowing what the future holds for you both," my father continues before smiling. "Jack and Elijah, please join hands, look at one another and remember this moment in time," he then turns his head to the groom.

"Jack Kennedy, do you take Elijah Manoban to be your wife?"

"I do."

"Elijah Manoban, do you take Jack Kennedy to be your husband?"

"I do."

"Now Jack please repeat after me. I promise to live each day with kindness, understanding, truth, humor, and passion with you lu. With this ring I thee wed."

Jack repeats after him, ears red and hands trembling. It is the first time that I see him being all shy and nervous. Elijah is staring at him as if he's one of the seven wonders in the world. The audience starts to cry when they both put a ring on their finger.

"Go now in peace and live in love, sharing the most precious gifts you. May your days be long on this earth. 
I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride, " my father said.

Cheers fill the room as the newly married couple kiss each other. I clap my hands despite the bouquet and try to hold back my tears but fail miserably.

I hope one day I will be there, in this church, standing next to the man of my life, surrounded by people I love.