chapter thirty-eight

LISA

I should have known that meeting Jennie's mother would be a disaster. Deep down inside me, I knew that she won't try to understand me and that was the case. She glared at me with despair the whole time, but I didn't mind it. 

I did it for Jennie. She wanted me to see her mother, and I didn't have the courage to say to those beautiful feline eyes.

"You're so whipped," Jisoo says before nudging my left shoulder.

I roll my eyes and look at the surroundings. Since Taehyung came back in town, he's always asking me to bring my friends and hang with him at his sister's apartment. I ask Jisoo to come with me, and here she is, teasing me about my one-sided love with Jennie Kim.

"I'm not," I retort and take a sip of the beer in my hand.

It's my third party in only three days and I highly think that there's going to be more. Taehyung is enjoying too much chilling with his friends who came here all the way from France. Jisoo is sticking to my side because she doesn't know what to respond if a guy talks to her in french.

A few people tried to talk to us, but Jisoo felt uncomfortable because she didn't know how to communicate with them.

"Tu veux que je te prenne un autre verre ? (Do you want me to get you another drink?)" a guy with round glasses asks me with a smile.

"Non merci, ça ira. (No thanks, I'm good.)" I reply causing him to nod and walk away.

Taehyung's friends are all nice, but I rather stay with Jisoo the whole night instead of flirting with people I will probably never see again.

"How did you learn French?" Jisoo asks me with a curious stare.

I shrug, "Taehyung gave me his notebook where he wrote the basics, and I watch films to get better."

"I don't get why everyone is learning french. Isn't English enough for you?"

I chuckle and put my beer on the lower table.

"I'm the only one in the group whose learning french tho."

"Jennie is learning it too," she retorts causing me to arch an eyebrow. "Talking about her, she told me yesterday that you're avoiding her since you saw her mother. Was it that bad ?"

To be honest, it was awful. I knew Jennie's mother wasn't the most open-minded woman on earth so I kind of expected her icy demeanor towards me. However, I had hoped that Jennie would try to defend me, but I guess I was a fool for thinking that she will be by my side. She stayed silent while her mother insulted me without any restraint. Her words didn't hurt me, it's the fact that Jennie didn't do anything that hurt me.

"Yeah," I casually state and finish my beer. "I'm gonna have another drink, do you want some ?"

"I'm the one who's driving you home, dumbass."

I let out a chuckle and get up from the comfy sofa. The loud music of the surrounding doesn't bother me anymore and the smell of alcohol seem to mix with the air. Everyone here looks classy and nice. I feel comfortable around them because I know they are Taehyung's friends.

"Hey Lisa !" someone calls making me turn around to meet a tall man smiling at me.

"Kai, right ?" I ask him and he nods his head in approval.

"I was heading home, but I saw you and well, I wanted to say hi," he explains to me with a visible blush on his cheeks.

"It's been a crazy week, what is it like to be seen as the mysterious boyfriend of Jennie Kim ?" I tease him.