Chapter 4

Turning to look at the house over my shoulder, I wondered if I would miss anything about it. I suppose the house was beautiful - large, luxurious, and the envy of many, but to me, it was too big and too cold. Like a tomb. I didn't have any happy memories to think about. No special days or events, or even a favorite horse. When I was young, I could at least pet the horses. I'd never been allowed to ride though. And for the last several years, I hadn't even been permitted to go to the stables. Literally nothing here was exceptional to me. At least, not in a good way. I had plenty of exceptionally bad memories though. A stranger's house would have been more endearing.

No, I wouldn't miss anything or anyone in this place. Maybe I would if Viola had still been here, but as it was, I'd be glad to never think of it again. I smiled as I thought about how angry Father would be to find me gone. He'd have a fit.

I had no intention of going along with his plan before I even knew what it was. Now that I understood, I thought I'd rather die. Thanks to Penelope's detailed and disturbing explanation, now I knew what a mistress was. I'd been so stunned and horrified as she spoke, I'd been completely frozen and had heard every word. But once I had a chance to process it, I decided that I wouldn't hear any more. I didn't want her teaching me any of the things she was supposed to. Any time she tried to tell me anything else, I'd slap my hands over my ears and refuse to listen. She said that she dealt with girls more stubborn than me before, but after a few days, I knew she was seriously starting to question whether she actually had.

I wanted to say I couldn't believe that my father would expect me to be someone's mistress, but I could. What surprised me was that I hadn't realized quite how cruel he could be before now.

Suddenly the world outside the walls of the house didn't seem so scary and I decided to leave before anyone could make me do anything. I didn't really have a plan, but I'd taken some of the silver, figuring Father owed me that much. I would find someone willing to take the silver as payment for a place to stay, at least until I figured out what to do. At this point, I didn't even care what it was. I'd happily be a servant to get away from all of this.

First, I had to make it through the gate though. This was my third attempt at running away, and the other two times, I hadn't gotten nearly this far. It had been foolish to expect the servants who acted as our security to simply smile and wave as I walked away. They all knew my father. But this time, I waited until the middle of the night. Carefully and quietly, I'd crept across the property, sticking to the shadows until I reached the gate. This was one time I was grateful that all my dresses were dark and drab, so I didn't have to worry about blending in to the darkness. I would have liked to sneak out a side entrance, but there wasn't one. This was the only way in or out.

Facing forward again, I examined the large metal bars for a moment. I never tried to go anywhere alone before. I'd rarely even done it accompanied. The gate was sure to be locked, so I brought the small piece of metal I found a few days ago. I thought it would be perfect for this. Small, but not too small, and mostly straight, but curved a little at the end. I wasn't exactly an expert at picking locks, but I knew it could be done. If I wasn't able to do it, I'd have to climb, and I didn't look forward to that possibility. Surprise, surprise, I'd never been allowed to climb anything, so I knew it would be a difficult task for me. And the wall was high. But if I had to, I'd dig my way out of here with my bare hands.

Pulling the piece of metal from my makeshift bag, I stepped up to the gate, praying it would click open.

"Please, please, please..." I chanted quietly as I worked the little tool inside the lock. When the loud click came, I jumped. I really didn't think it would work and I hadn't expected the noise. But it did work! I grinned and quickly tucked my little tool away before I reached for the gate to swing it open. Another moment and I would be free!