Epilogue

"Mama! Mama!" Ella ran excitedly into the kitchen and to my side before tugging on my skirt. "Look!"

Obliging her request, I turned my attention from the dough I was kneading for tonight's dinner, down to my daughter. When I saw what was in her hand, I frowned.

"Ella, I asked you not to take my sketch book," I scolded.

"I'm sorry, Mama. I used up all my paper.... but look!" Her momentary contrition vanished and her face brightened again.

Sighing, I wiped my hands and took the book from her. I really should punish her. This wasn't even close to the first time she took my book without asking, and she'd ruined several of my drawings in the past. She was just so excited, I didn't have the heart to dampen her spirits right now.

Examining the paper, I smiled. She'd been practicing writing her name - Ella Elizabeth Mitchell - and it was starting to look pretty good. A little lopsided maybe, and a few of the letters were backwards, but I thought it was quite an accomplishment for not quite five-years-old.

"This is very good!" I said. "I can tell you've been practicing."

Ella looked very pleased with herself and tried to take the book back. Pulling it away, I tore out the few pages she'd used along with a few blank ones.

"Next time, ask if you need more paper, alright?" I said, handing her the loose pages.

"Yes, Mama." She took the papers and began to rush away but stopped, hearing a horse outside.

"Papa!" Ella cried and ran for the door.

"Wait a minute!" I said, halting her with her hand on the knob and a frown on her face.

I wish I didn't have to be so suspicious, but there was no guarantee that was Reed's horse. Several different men knew where we lived, and I didn't entirely trust them all to act like gentlemen if Reed wasn't here.

For a long time, Reed wouldn't let me stay home if he was gone. John told him about finding me the day that horrible man chased me. Ever since, he insisted that I go stay with Anne if he was going to be away. I didn't mind going if his absence would last several days, since it could get pretty lonely and frightening at night. But I refused to pack up Ella for one day or less. It was too far to go back and forth so often, and it made it impossible to get anything done. Besides, it was unnecessary. The lock on the door was sturdy, and between Keira and Reed, I'd learned how to shoot a bow and arrow and defend myself fairly well.

Hurrying over to the window, I peeked out and smiled.

"Alright, go on," I told Ella.

She happily threw the door open and ran out to meet Reed. Setting my book down, I followed, emerging through the doorway just as Reed was sweeping her up into his arms.

Eager as I was to get to Reed, I slowed my steps, giving them a minute. I absolutely loved watching them together. Their bond was like nothing I'd experienced and I thought it was just the sweetest thing.

Ella kissed his cheek and then proudly showed him her paper. "Look Papa!"

"You wrote this?" Reed asked with exaggerated astonishment as he looked over her writing.

Ella nodded happily, her dark curls bobbing.

"Wow! I think you'll be writing stories soon!"

She giggled and was clearly thrilled with Reed's praise. I didn't think that prediction was too far off though. Ella had an incredible imagination and loved to make up stories. I was still hoping she'd take after me a little bit and develop a love of drawing, but I wouldn't complain if she loved writing.