Chapter 19

The remainder of the ride was pleasant, even though the carriage was cold and uncomfortable. I was surprised when we reached our destination so soon. My last trip had seemed endless. I guess the friendly atmosphere made a world of difference because the two destinations were about the same distance from the castle.

When we came to a stop, I peered out the window and instantly fell in love with the house that waited outside the carriage. It was a lovely little cottage, painted white with blue trim. Despite the cold weather, there was quite a bit of greenery surrounding it. I guessed that in the spring, flowers would be everywhere.

As William helped me down from the carriage, after assisting Keira, the door to the house opened and three children came bursting outside.

"Mama! Papa!" the smaller of the two girls shouted as she ran toward us with her arms outstretched.

Once my feet were firmly on the ground, William released my hand and turned to catch the little girl in his arms. He tossed her easily in the air, making her squeal, and then kissed her cheek a half dozen times.

The little boy and the other girl went to Keira, presumably for hugs, but I had a hard time tearing my eyes away from William and his small daughter as she whispered a secret in his ear. It was fascinating to watch and it made me sad. There was nothing at all in my memory that I could relate to this display of love. And not just with my father, but with anyone. I hadn't even realized that children interacted this way with adults. They were so affectionate and relaxed. So happy. I couldn't remember a time when I felt even a little happy while in the same room as my father. And those times he touched me had definitely not been to playfully toss me in the air or kiss me.

After a moment, Keira got my attention. "Madeline, this is Waverly and Will Jr." She indicated the older girl and then the boy.

"And this one's Daphne," William added, setting her down to stand on her own.

I'd never been around children before, so I wasn't sure how to behave now. I smiled at them, feeling awkward. "Hello."

Daphne clung to her father, but smiled. The other two seemed more brave. It looked as if Waverly was about to say something, but Keira nudged her and gave her a warning look. Instead of voicing whatever was on her mind, she just smiled, looking curious.

"My mother," Keira continued the introductions by nodding to the older woman who'd just joined our little group.

"Call me Anne," she said with a warm smile. "I hope that trip wasn't too bad." She glanced at the carriage.

"It was fine," I said. "Not bad at all."

Keira humphed, clearly not agreeing with my assessment and William shook his head in exasperation.

"You don't get to complain," Anne scolded. "You were told not to go. You shouldn't be going anywhere in that thing, in your condition. And especially not as often as you do."

Keira pursed her lips and William looked like he wanted to laugh. I guess she couldn't argue with her mother the way she could with him.

Anne's stern expression vanished when she turned to me. "Are you hungry? I've got some bread that's just about ready to come out of the oven. I can have sandwiches made in no time."

"That sounds wonderful," I said. My stomach was a little upset from the carriage ride, but it felt amazing to think of a mother doing something like that for me. Even if she wasn't my mother.

Seeming pleased, she nodded and then turned to Keira again. "I hope you're planning on staying a while too. You need a rest after that long ride."

"Yes, Mother," Keira said with a sigh.

As Anne began assigning tasks to the children, it occurred to me that someone else might be around. Keira said that Mr. Mitchell lived nearby, but she hadn't said exactly how nearby. Suddenly uneasy, I looked around, wondering if he could see me. Did he know I was coming? There were a few other houses in view. They weren't very close to this one, but not so far that someone couldn't see us from a window.

"He isn't here." Keira apparently knew what I was thinking. It was strange to feel both relieved and disappointed.

I waited until Anne had begun shuffling the children into the house before asking, "does he know that I'm here?"

Keira shook her head. "I planned to talk to him after I settled things with you, but he's been away."

At my curious look, William said, "he hunts. That's the reason he was at the castle to begin with. He was looking to be a supplier for the king. Apparently, he's quite skilled."

I was pleased to hear William's assessment, but what exactly did that mean for me now? I didn't want to throw myself at him, but would he even think he had a choice to see me? I was already here. He was probably much too nice to refuse, no matter what he truly felt.

"He might be back by now, but it's a little late in the day for a trip out to his place. It's a bit of a hike," Keira continued, oblivious to my worries. "I'd go tomorrow, but...." She glanced at William who wore an expression that said, quite plainly, not to even think about it.

"I'm sorry that I won't be able to go speak with him tomorrow either," William said. "I'll be away on business myself for a few days."

"That's alright," I said quickly. I wasn't as sure about this whole thing as I'd been before. It was probably good that I'd have some time to think.

"Don't worry," Keira said, throwing her arm across my shoulders and urging me toward the house. "I'm sure the children will keep you occupied. They're very excited that you're here."

"They are?" They seemed pleasant enough, but they hadn't even spoken to me.

"Mm hmm. They think it's fantastic that you've actually lived in the castle. They've been there, of course, and they've spent time with their cousins who live similarly with maids and servants, but their lives are quite a bit simpler than all of that. Waverly especially is dying to talk to you about the grandeur of it all."

"Is that what she was going to ask me?" I wondered.

"No." With a sigh, she stopped walking and turned to face me. "I think she overheard me talking to my mother about you staying here," she said apologetically. "So she knows it has something to do with a man. I wasn't sure what she might say and I didn't want her to embarrass you, but you should know that she might ask you some awkward questions later. She's very much a dreamy little girl. She loves pretty dresses and fairy tales and the idea of romance. Those sorts of things."

"Yes, we're trying to figure out where she gets that from," William said as he walked by, carrying my trunk. "Certainly not her mother."

Keira scowled at him, but I could tell it was a little forced. When he was inside the house, she turned to me again and shrugged.

"He's not wrong."