Chapter 23

Talking about everything wasn't terrible. I hadn't expected that. But Reed - he laughed when I called him Mr. Mitchell, and asked that I please use his first name - was easy to talk to. It felt natural. Which had been surprising to learn since before this, I'd always felt incredibly awkward any time I was anywhere near him. Even as we set out on our walk, I felt very self-conscious. But the awkwardness faded away pretty quickly. I guess knowing that he actually wanted to hear what I had to say and knowing that he wasn't going to just write me off the way other people would because of the title I'd held, made that possible.

As I was telling him about my father, he took my hand in his. I hadn't expected that either, but it was comforting. I squeezed his hand slightly and kept talking.

"I thought mine was bad," he said, sounding disgusted. "And he's not even my real father. If he was..." He frowned into the distance and his hand tightened on mine a little.

As bad as it might sound, I was sort of glad that he had a terrible father too. Not for the way he was treated of course, but at least he could sort of understand what that was like for me.

Reed listened intently as I told him about having to go to the castle and actually acting as though I wanted to be there because the alternative was terrifying. He would absently rub his thumb across the back of my hand and hold on a little more tightly any time I told him something difficult. When I told him about meeting the princess, though, he laughed.

"It was horribly uncomfortable," I said. "She didn't have any idea why I was there, and I wasn't about to tell her. But it was awful to have her be so kind. Almost as if I was lying just by being there. I almost wished she would have yelled at me or something. Even after she found out who I was, I don't think she hated me like she should have."

Reed smiled affectionately. "That sounds like her. She's pretty unusual. Now that I know her family, it makes more sense, but when I met her, I almost couldn't believe how different she was from everyone else in her position."

"What do you mean?" I still hadn't heard any details about how they even knew one another.

"Any other girl in her place would have treated me like a servant, at best. Even if they were in desperate need of help. But she was actually insulted that I assumed she would think that way."

I smiled, not finding that at all unbelievable.

"How did you meet?"

Reed sighed. "That's quite a story."

I wasn't sure if he didn't want to tell me or if he thought I wouldn't want to hear it.

"I don't mind," I said. "I've been talking for a while already."

He chuckled and then launched into the story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, you rescued her," I said when he finished. "You are a hero."

His face reddened a little under his beard and he shook his head. "I just walked her home. It wasn't anything remarkable."

I looked up at him and smiled, finding his embarrassment very sweet. The fact that he didn't think something so enormous was much of anything at all, told me a lot about him.

"I'm sure the prince and princess don't see it that way."

He cringed. "I'm not sure the prince is very fond of me actually."

"What do you mean?"

With his free hand, he pulled a small circular locket out from his shirt.

"The princess gave me this as a way to say thank you after everything. It meant a lot to her and I know it's valuable, so I wear it so it doesn't get lost or stolen. When I was at the castle, I got the feeling that the prince didn't really like all the attention his wife was paying me." He smiled and shook his head. "Most other women would realize their husbands would feel that way, but she's so...innocent still. So trusting that people will always just know when the motives of others are pure, it didn't even occur to her that the prince might be jealous. She was only enjoying the company of an old friend, but her husband didn't quite see it that way. If I wasn't sure that was the case, when I saw him scowling at this, I would have known." He indicated the locket. "And then the next day, she asked me to leave. I'm sure they'd been arguing by then."

So that's why he disappeared so suddenly. That must have been the fight that I'd noticed.

"You're probably right, but I don't think the prince is upset any longer," I said.

He seemed amused again. Maybe he thought I was naive too. "You don't?"

I shook my head. "After you'd gone, the prince spoke to me. I was worried about their fighting...worried about what it meant for me." I blushed at the implication. "But he only wanted to talk about me leaving. I was so surprised, I asked him if everything was alright between the two of them. He admitted that it wasn't, but that it was all his fault. He seemed anything but angry by then. At least not with anyone but himself."

"Huh," he said, absently. "Well, that's good to know. I'm glad I won't have to worry about being hunted down."

I laughed. He probably knew enough about the prince to know how unlikely that would be anyway.

He watched me, looking a little mischievous and I felt my stomach give a little flip.

"So, during this conversation you had with the prince about leaving, did my name come up?"

That horribly awkward feeling hit again. I felt my face warm considerably and my eyes widen.

Reed chuckled and even though I was still embarrassed, the awkwardness mostly receded.

"It did," I admitted, unable to look at him when I said it.

When I met his eyes, he was smiling softly. "Was anyone else mentioned?"

I almost wished he wasn't as smart as he was. All of a sudden, I was admitting that I had some pretty strong feelings for him.

Staring back at him, I shook my head.

As he watched me, I began to feel nervous for a whole new reason. Was he going to kiss me? It seemed absurd that I'd been someone's mistress for several months, but had never even been kissed. Obviously I was happy about that, but it also meant that I'd have no idea what I was doing.

Reed only moved to tuck a stray piece of hair behind my ear. I wasn't sure if I were more relieved or more disappointed.

"Good," he finally said. "Much as I tried, I haven't been able to get you out of my mind. I thought it might be suicide to go back to the castle, but I had to keep talking myself out of it anyway. And I doubt I'd have lasted more than another few days or so. I'm glad I won't have to risk death in order to see you."

I laughed, feeling giddy. It was incredible to learn that he had been thinking about me as much as I was thinking about him.

We began walking again. I had no idea where we were and I didn't care. The scenery was beautiful and I was with Reed. The cold didn't even bother me.

"Is there any chance that I might be able to see some of your pictures?" he asked as we walked.

Clutching my book a little tighter, I turned to face him, not wanting to actually refuse. But I honestly didn't want anyone to see my drawings. At least not until I could clean them up and get them ready.

"No?" he guessed, not looking offended.

I bit my lip and smiled apologetically. "I just draw for myself. I don't feel like they're good enough to show to anyone else."

"Judging by what I saw, that's not true, but I can respect your desire to keep them to yourself. Perhaps one day you'll show me some?"

Feeling grateful for his understanding and slightly giddy over the fact that he thought we would have a one day together, I nodded. "Maybe." I didn't even feel like I was lying this time.